Pasting Text in Overstrike Mode

Pasting Text in Overstrike Mode

Jan 17, 2008#1

Hi, is there a way to paste text in overstrike mode so that text gets overwritten and retain the column positions? I find that I need to do this quite regularly but I cant find a way with Ultraedit. It always Inserts text pushing characters forward, no matter which mode you are in.

Please advise. I am using Ultraedit v13.20a.

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 18, 2008#2

I reported this bug to IDM almost a year ago and they were able to reproduce it and said they'd look into it. I'd recommend reporting it to them again (via email) if you want it fixed.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 18, 2008#3

It is possible. Activate the column mode. Select a rectangular area (can be much to wide) and copy it. Turn on overstrike mode and move the cursor to new position. Paste there the text. The pasted text will overwrite the existing characters of that area. The existing characters on left side of the cursor and the existing characters right the pasted area are not modified. The configuration setting Overstrike at Editor - Column Mode must be set correct for that task. Trim trailing spaces should be used before or on save when doing such text manipulations in column mode.

But in normal text edit mode a pasted text is always inserted and does not replace the lines below even in overstrike mode. I think this is a Windows standard. Microsoft Word for example works in the same behavior. If IDM ever implements a paste + replace in normal edit mode when overstrike mode is active then this behavior will be hopefully controlled via a configuration setting set by default to insert the text also in overstrike mode as it is actually standard.

If you would need that often in normal text mode you could write a script with a hotkey. This script could check if overstrike mode is active or not. If insert mode in normal edit mode or column mode or hex edit mode is active it just pastes the text from the active clipboard. If overstrike mode in normal edit mode is active it remembers current cursor position, counts the new line characters in active clipboard, selects the same number of lines (or less if there are not so many lines left) and paste the text over the selected lines. Then it moves the cursor back to original, stored position. Such a script would be a fully customized replacement for standard Ctrl+V.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 07, 2009#4

Hello

I've been using UltraEdit 9 for years, but only to do very simple tasks such as cut and past in Column Mode.

My machine recently crashed and had to reinstall all my old software.

However neither version 9 or version 15 of UltraEdit will do the simple thing that it always did for me.

I want to cut and paste in Column Mode without shifting lines left or right.

Why can I no longer do this?

I've tried lots of settings but none seem to do the job. Text is now always moving left or right no matter whether I use overstrike or not.

Is it possible Windows is interfering somehow?

Thanks

P.S. I read the previous posts in this thread, but the suggested answers were not clear.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 08, 2009#5

In UltraEdit v15 open Advanced - Configuration - Editor - Column Mode and select either Overstrike if in overstrike mode or Always overstrike unselected columns for pasting over selected or unselected columns without shifting to right. Cutting with replacing the cutted area with spaces (no shift to left) is possible when overstrike mode is active with one of the 2 options selected.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria