FTP local backup

FTP local backup

NewbieNewbie

Jan 21, 2005#1

While editing off of an FTP server is great, it would be nice to have an option to automatically save a local copy whenever an ftp copy is saved. Ultimately, it would be nice if there was a means to tie a local project to a remote ftp server. You would be able to edit locally, then synchronize or optionally synchronize on a file-at-a-time basis.

Thanks, this would make a great product even better.

edit:

Turns out that there already is a setting to enable local backups, I just skipped right over it!

NewbieNewbie

Feb 24, 2005#2

b1ind wrote:Turns out that there already is a setting to enable local backups, I just skipped right over it!
      Hi everyone, first post here.

I use Ultraedit 11.00. I found this post because I was looking if this is possible to also save locally when it saves remotely (SSH feature, so goood!).

Well I read your post and you finaly say that there is a way to do it. Well I can't find it. I found this weird option in Accounts > Local Copy Directory but I can't understand the point of it. I don't want it to save it I-don-t-know-where in my computer I just want it to overwrite the local file I'm editing!

Can you please tell me where's the option, or if this is the Local Copy Directory, can you explain to me how it works??

Thanx!

nkeegan
      nkeegan

May 25, 2005#3

I'm stuck on the same problem. Like most people, my master website files are stored on a local PC disk. When I "Save As FTP", it uploads the file to the server, but my local (master) copy is now out of date. How hard would it be to add a checkbox somewhere that says "save local copy" as well?

I can't use the "save as ftp " feature because of it . . .

NewbieNewbie

May 25, 2005#4

Yes Bleachga, you're right. Their should be something more intuitive like a "Overwrite local copy as well" checkbox.

But I think you and me are the only ones wanting to use a remote + local saving: I wrote my message on 24 feb and since then nobody helped :-(

Note: just sent an email to [email protected] and [email protected]. Hope they can help and they'll eventually visit this thread

Jun 01, 2005#5

Hey, got an answer from IDM !

Bad news : it's simply not implemented
            Good news : it will be added in future release
            Thanks for your message. I'm sorry but we don't currently have this
            feature available. We have had other requests for this, and I will
            ask the developers to consider this for a future release.

Thanks, Andy

NewbieNewbie

May 23, 2006#6

Just FYI, I asked the same question with the release of v12 and got the same reply:

4 Apr 06

Thanks for your message and request. I'm not sure what changes would be
              required to incorporate the backup capabilities during the save for
              files opened via FTP. I will ask the developers to consider this for a
              future release.

Thanks, Troy

Troy A. Pennington
              Operations and Support Manager
              IDM Computer Solutions, Inc.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 28, 2006#7

Hi, anything new there?
                I miss that feature so much, would be really great if it would work :)

Greetz,

Picl
                Keep smiling ;)

NewbieNewbie

Dec 01, 2006#8

Dunno which version you are using, but it already works with v12.10, provided you have correctly entered the Initial Directory and Local Directory Copy (no slashes at the end).

Example
                  /www
                  G:\My Website (where the files are actually in G:\My Website\www)

NewbieNewbie

Dec 01, 2006#9

I'm using 12.10b. I'll try this at home later.

edit: Hm I set the directory to c:\backup, but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

edit2: Ok, it's working - had to restart UltraEdit :wink:

Greetz & thanx,

Picl
                    Keep smiling ;)