Backup setting and functionality for UE

Backup setting and functionality for UE

NewbieNewbie

Apr 02, 2008#1

I would like to have 'backup' to work next way:
    • on every 'save' - make a copy with time stamp in name (in the same dir as edited file is locating)
    • every 'time period' (say 1 min) preserves current condition of the file in different dir (so, in case of something happend (let say - loose power) last editing will be restorable.
    In Advance/Configuration/File-handling/Backup I have selected new backup dir, and set save a version on 'save' with time stamp up to 10 instance.

Versioning is working fine, but backup every 1 min does not work.
    Is it possible UE backup my preferred way or I do something incorrect?

Thank you.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 03, 2008#2

Saving the file every 1 minute to a different directory is not really necessary. If you are working with temp file usage enabled (default) there is already a backup which contains (nearly) all not saved changes - the temp file in the directory specified by environment variable temp. When UltraEdit or whole Windows crashes or a power loss occurs, on next start UltraEdit will automatically detect that last time an abnormal program termination has occurred and will ask you to recover the not saved changes stored in the temp files to the original files. You can specify which files to recover. That mechanism works even for new files never saved before.

Do you want to test and see the auto recovery feature in action?

Yes, do following:
      • Open an existing file and enter something.
      • Open a new file and enter also something.
      • Switch back to the file tab of the existing file.
      • Press now Ctrl+Alt+Del and click on button Task Manager.
      • Choose the Processes tab - not the Applications tab.
      • Search in the list of processes for uedit32.exe and select it.
      • Press the button End Process and confirm the warning. UE is now really "killed".
      • Start UltraEdit again and you should see the auto recovery dialog.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria