Please display only the %modify% bit in the pop up!

Please display only the %modify% bit in the pop up!

NewbieNewbie

May 01, 2008#1

I think this is the strangest feature of ultraedit and it really bugs me.

I often run qgrep which I have setup as:

qgrep.exe "%modify%" "%f"

but the pop up that comes up shows the whole statement and even highlights the very long file argument which i am never going to change. It's got to be a fifteen minute programming job but the ultraedit would be much better if you could set it to show only the %modify% bit.

I would even pay up again for another version to get rid of this silly annoyance. I am running version 12.

I do think its the most painful feature... but putting the toggle word wrap on the edit menu instead of the view menu comes a close second :-). While I am at it, a nice way to switch into tail mode as a one off instead of a permanent change in settings would be nice as well. Oh dear, I better stop.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 02, 2008#2

I agree that when opening the dialog for tool parameter specification it would be better not to show the fixed elements.

My favorite file manager Total Commander solved this problem for customized commands by having 2 fields. The first one is the field for the "command" where the file name of the program must be specified. In this command field also the fixed parameters can be specified. And there is a second field named "parameters". There the user can specify additional parameters. The parameters specified in the parameters field are ignored when a files is dragged & dropped over the icon of the tool. But when clicking on the icon of the tool these parameters are appended with a space to the string of the command (with or without fixed parameters). And if the string in the parameters field starts with a ? Total Commander opens a popup dialog where the user can modify the optional parameters. But the fixed string from the command is not shown in this dialog.

I think this 2 field specification for command (with fixed parameters) and optional parameters which could be edited would be also very handy for the tools in UltraEdit. I have not yet sent a feature request email to IDM with that suggestion because I don't have a user tool in UE which needs modification of parameters before running it.

About word-wrapping: You can customize the menu and so you can move the word-wrap command to any menu. I have assigned a hotkey to it to easily enable/disable it. And I have the command added to my customized toolbar because then I can see if the word-wrap mode is for the current file active or not.

And it is possible to activate the word-wrap by default. You can even specify that is by default active for a specific type of files based on the file extension. Look at Advanced - Configuration - Editor - Word Wrap / Tab Settings. There is the setting Default Word Wrap On for Each File. If this is checked the word-wrap mode is active by default for all files with the extension shown in the drop down list at top of the dialog. Default means for all files with an extension not specified in this dialog.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria