View in Firefox / Internet Explorer / Opera / Chrome / Safari

View in Firefox / Internet Explorer / Opera / Chrome / Safari

NewbieNewbie

Jan 01, 2008#1

Is it possible to force UltraEdit 13 to open files in Firefox instead of IE?

For example, when the tips dialog is clicked on, the tip opens in IE not Firefox, where Firefox is the default browser.

Also, is it possible to config UltraEdit so that I can select a url in text and open in the Firefox using a right click command?

Thanks!

MasterMaster

Jan 02, 2008#2

As I understand it IE is hardwired into UE's View - Toggle Browser View and the QSG (Quick Start Guide - or tips). The UE help says: "... Toggle Browser View - toggles view of active file from HTML content to browser view (interprets using IE integration) ..."

On the other hand Window - Show File In Browser will use whatever browser you have defined to be your default browser in Windows.
      lesCaudle wrote:Also, is it possible to config UltraEdit so that I can select a url in text and open in the Firefox using a right click command?
      Well, you can further explore this yourself using the UE help:

- Create a user tool in Advanced - Tool configuration that will start Firefox with the selected text (%sel%) as parameter.

- Then modify the right click popup menu in Advanced - Configuration - Toolbars/menus - Customize popup menu and add the user tool to the popup menu.

NewbieNewbie

May 25, 2008#3

Hello.

I downloaded UE few days ago and is the best that I tried, I was using other editor before that is easy have a "view in Firefox" , "view in Opera" and a "view in Explorer" buttons, and that the editing file will be displayed in a new windows with explorer, opera or firefox, not inside the editor.

How can do this with ue? Is the same menus that buttons, but I would have this feature.

Thanks
        Fer

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 25, 2008#4

I have created a user tool via Advanced - Tool Configuration to open current file in Opera with following settings:

Tab Command
          Menu Item Name: Open with Opera
          Command Line: C:\Programs\Opera\opera.exe "%f"
          Working Directory: empty
          Toolbar bitmap/icon (file path): C:\Programs\Opera\Opera.ico

Tab Options
          Program Type: Windows Program
          Save Active File: Checked
          Save all files first: unchecked

Tab Output
          Command Output: Append to Existing
          Show DOS Box: unchecked
          Capture Output: unchecked
          Replace selected text with: No replace

The icon file Opera.ico was created by myself by extracting the Opera icon from Opera.exe. For IE and Firefox only the command line must be changed in comparison to above for Opera. Then you can open the current file with Opera, IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, ... by running the appropriate "tool" either from the menu Advanced, or after customizing the toolbar from your toolbar, or with a hotkey which can be also configured to what you like.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 29, 2008#5

How disappointing! :(  I'm using UltraEdit for Windows 14, and it apparently has the same problem of being hardwired to IE, at least in its help file. When I click on URLs in the help file (e.g. on https://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/extras/wordfiles.html), they open in IE in spite of Firefox's being my default browser. I don't think I should be expected to create user tools to fix this. Frankly, I'm surprised that in 2008, UltraEdit still doesn't recognize that many users prefer Firefox and other non-IE browsers.  

UltraEdit is a wonderful piece of software. I hope that in the next version, it will make provision for using other browsers with its help files.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 29, 2008#6

cyberdiva wrote:When I click on URLs in the help file (e.g. on https://www.ultraedit.com/downloads/extras/wordfiles.html), they open in IE in spite of Firefox's being my default browser.
              That behavior is not coded in UltraEdit. That happens always when you click on an WWW link inside a CHM help file. CHM means compiled HTML. Inside the CHM file are all the HTML files, JavaScripts, CSS files and images normally you have on a website. But the CHM file contains other, binary files with additional content like the index list, the contents list, the words database for the search feature and much more.

CHM files are opened by C:\Windows\hh.exe (hh is short for HtmlHelp). If you look on the file size of this program file you will wonder how a program which should display HTML content can have less than 10 KB. Well, it can be easily explained. It calls the Internet Explorer, to be more precise it calls the DLLs of IE via class. So nearly everything of the CHM file is interpreted by compiled functions packed into DLLs also used by IE. That's the reason why many programs which offer a CHM contains in their requirements also IE4 or IE6. Without IE you can't view any CHM.

What does this mean in practice. If you look on a help page of a CHM, you see it in a window of IE which has not the normal menus and toolbars. Nevertheless, the window is an IE window. ALL settings you can specify in IE are automatically active also for viewing CHM files because you view the CHM page with IE. For example open help of UltraEdit and select a page which contains an image. Now while this page is displayed, open the Internet Options of IE6, select tab Advanced, scroll down to section Multimedia, uncheck the option "Show pictures" and press button Apply. Switch back to the still open CHM page, click anywhere inside the page to set the focus to it and press F5 to refresh the view. You will immediately see the help page now without the images.

Now you can't wonder anymore that when you click on a WWW link in any CHM help, it will be opened with IE. IE is the browser which shows you the help page, so IE just opens a new instance of itself to load the page from WWW and display it. If you don't like this, contact Microsoft.

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 30, 2008#7

Thanks very much, Mofi, for your clear and helpful explanation. Though I'm disappointed to learn that there's not much I can do about UE's help files opening in IE, I'm glad to understand why that's happening and that it's not the fault of UltraEdit.