UltraEdit always reads floppy on starting

UltraEdit always reads floppy on starting

NewbieNewbie

Jun 07, 2008#1

My UltraEdit 14 (and today 14.00a+3) always reads the floppy drive (I still have one!!) on starting. I dont want it to do this but cannot see why it is doing it. There are no configuration settings that refer to a file in a:\ and a search of the ultraedit.ini file for a:\ revealed nothing.

Anyone have any idea why ultraedit is doing this, and how to stop it?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 08, 2008#2

Uncheck the setting Show volume labels in Explorer view at Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced. With this setting enabled UltraEdit accesses every drive on startup to get it's volumne name which is not good for floppy drives. I will send an email to IDM support with the feature request not to try to read volume names from floppy drives. You should do the same. The more users request something the higher is the chance to get it implemented. And you should update to currently latest version 14.00b.

Update: Volume labels from floppy drives are not read anymore even when this configuration setting is checked with UltraEdit v15.00 and later.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jun 08, 2008#3

Thanks for that - I would never have guessed! Turning it off worked perfectly and I suspect starting up is a bit faster too. Will whine to IDM as requested.