create user tool to run dos command 'mkdir'?

create user tool to run dos command 'mkdir'?

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 11, 2008#1

Hi ultraeditors --

Im trying to create a very simple user tool that will run a dos "mkdir" command for me. I'd like to use it with a path I have already built and sitting in ultraedit's clipboard 4 ("c:this/that/here/there/yadda")....

...however, I can't quite finger out how to paste or send the clipboard's contents to the user tool immediately after the "mkdir" command. I doubt there is a dos command/shortcut that will "paste" is there?

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this relatively simple task of making a directory? Or if my whole approach is wrong, alternative ways to generate a directory on the fly from UE or the user tool?

Im using v13.20, so Im a bit back on the upgrade curve, if that matters.

tnx much all,
    WZ

MasterMaster

Jul 11, 2008#2

Hi,

have you read the UE help file "DOS command"? Especially the bit about the parameter %sel%? I guess that's what you need...

HTH,
      Tim

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 11, 2008#3

thanks. read that already, several times over.

Would you care to ref the section of the help file that allows me to insert text to the dos command directly from the clipboard, especially clipboard #4-- not the main windows cb-- instead of from an active selection?

tnx

MasterMaster

Jul 11, 2008#4

AFAIK its only possible with %sel%
          But you can write (or better: RECORD) a macro where you:
          create new file
          switch to clipboard 4
          paste text
          copy (select) it
          close file nosave
          runTool
          switch to clipboard 1 again

easy.
          Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 11, 2008#5

tnx. I got the "mkdir %sel%" command working pretty easily already, but I was hoping there was a "^c" like command (or similar) for dos, to snag clipboard text.

thanks much bego & pietz.