User to user discussion and support for UltraEdit, UEStudio, UltraCompare, and other IDM applications.

Find, replace, find in files, replace in files, regular expressions
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

is it possible (via syntax highlighting ?) to highlight the currently selected string like this:

2008-08-29_162115.png
2008-08-29_162115.png (5.25 KiB) Viewed 10613 times

Seen that in Eclipse or as above in Notepad++

Thanks from a 10+ year UltraEdit user.
Run a find with the selected string and enable option Highlight All Items Found. The found strings will be highlighted as long as you do not move the cursor or continue editing. I for myself run in such situations always a Find In Files on all open files with result to the output window or use the option List Lines Containing String in the find dialog. But most of the time I simply select a text and press repeatedly F3 to find the other occurrences and edit them if necessary. Find a selected text with F3 or Ctrl+F3 requires enabled configuration setting:

Find next/prev finds selected text (not last searched for text)

If this option is selected the editor will find the selected text when a FIND NEXT/PREVIOUS command is performed instead of the previous search string UNLESS the Regular Expressions option is selected.

A permanent highlighting until you want something different highlighted is not possible, except you open the wordfile currently in use, add the word (not strings!) you want highlighted to one of the color groups of the language currently used for syntax highlighting and save the wordfile. Now switch back to your file and you will see that word highlighted.

The exact same feature as in Eclipse or in Notepad++ is currently not available in UltraEdit.
Best regards from Austria
I love UE. It is robust and lightweight. It is open all day everyday at work. I also use eclipse for Java development.

I've gotten quite accustomed to highlighting the current word in eclipse and having all other occurrences of the word highlighted in the current file. It is a very useful tool.

As of the last post (August 2008) this functionality wasn't in UE. Does it now exist (1 year + later)? It would be another great feature.

If it is not:
Ian, could we get this feature (as implemented in eclipse)?

Thanks
Hector wrote: Does it now exist (1 year + later)?

No, also just released UE v15.20.0.1016 does not have such a feature. I guess most users use the existing capabilities and therefore have not sent a feature request email to IDM for such a feature.
I just sent a feature Request to IDM concerning this feature, really would love to see it as an option in future versions.

I've seen this feature in Notepad++ which I had to use for a while until I got my UEMobile and really fell in love with this feature.
It really helps a lot if you have to typewrite code, especially helps to find and correct typos on text that you can't spell check.
This feature is available in UltraEdit v17.00 and later. :)
+1

Please, add this feature soon. Notepad++ has this so long time. Will be nice and useful if clicking a word UE highlight all occurrence automatically (not using the Find command).

Thank you in advance
CFQueb wrote: Please, add this feature soon. Notepad++ has this so long time. Will be nice and useful if clicking a word UE highlight all occurrence automatically (not using the Find command).

It's available from the version 17.00.

IDM wrote: The persistent "highlight all" can be invoked on the word under the caret either via Shift + Double Click or via the hotkey Ctrl + . (period). There is also a new "Highlight All Selected" toolbar icon which can be used to enable/disable persistent highlighting - this also works with the "Highlight All Items Found" item in the Find dialog.
CFQueb wrote: Will be nice and useful if clicking a word UE highlight all occurrence automatically (not using the Find command).

While single clicking in NP++ is convenient, it really isn't the best solution for an editor that handles huge files. A global highlight on a huge file could really bog down the editor. The Ctrl+Period solution works well enough for me.
Yes.. You're right. A single click is not the best approach to do this.
Feature Highlight All Selected with default hotkey assignment Ctrl+. was enhanced in UE v22.10.

It can be used since UE v22.10 also to highlight all occurrences of an existing selection in active file. Highlight All Selected selects the word at current position of caret and highlights all occurrences of this string if there is no selection and there is also no highlighting of found strings already active in which case the command toggles off the highlighting.
I'm really happy to have a computer which lighten my workload and automatically executes functions like reformatting.

Isn't there a way to let UltraEdit automatically highlight all occurrences of the currently selected text?

It's annoying to always press Ctrl+. if one always would like to have selected text highlighted like other editors support it.

Is it possible to call a script on a event like "Text selected"?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Kind regards,
Tom
Scripts/macros can be run only on action of user (or from command line). A script/macro would not help here as command Highlight All Selected is not available as scripting or macro command.

There is no configuration option to highlight automatically all occurrences of a selected text. There is the Shift+double click feature configurable at Advanced - Configuration - Search - Advanced which can be used to get highlighted all occurrences of a word.

In case of mouse is used mainly to make a selection, a click on Highlight All Selected symbol in MAIN toolbar is the most efficient way to highlight all occurrences of the selection. The symbol is in group with all the find/replace symbols (binoculars).

In case of keyboard is used mainly to make a selection it may be better to assign a different, easier to press key to command ViewHighlightAllSelected at Advanced - Configuration - Key Mapping. You don't write assembler or HTML code and therefore nearly never need to enter character #, then assigning this command to key # might be a good idea.
13 posts Page 1 of 1