CPU load is sometimes 50 percent or more

CPU load is sometimes 50 percent or more

NewbieNewbie

Sep 04, 2008#1

When I start UEStudio 6.60.0.1004 the cpu load rises sometimes to 50 percent or more.
    I looked up the load from task UEStudio.exe in the Task-Manager. Even if I close UEStudio the task remains in the list of the Task-Manager with 50 percent load. The problem is that this high load causes the fans to run permanently and expose a lot of noise. The only possibility is to kill the task after I have closed the UEStudio. Does anybody have an idea?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 07, 2008#2

I guess when you start UEStudio you also automatically reload last used project. When loading a project UEStudio runs in the background by default regular expression searches in all project files to build and update the symbol database for the IntelliTips and the ClassViewer. How long this process needs depends on the number of project files and where the files are (local files are much faster parsed than files on a network drive).

Make sure you have not disabled the usage of a cache for symbols. You find this option at Configuration - IDE - IntelliTips - Parser. The cache is important for fast handling of symbols. When the parser for symbols runs, it displays the files currently parsing in the status bar at bottom left of the UEStudio main window (if I remember correct - currently working on a different computer without UEStudio).
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 08, 2008#3

Thank you for your help Mofi.
        You are absolutely right I automatically reload the last project. Now I have switched off this behavior. But the cache was not disabled. So far I know now where to keep an eye on when this situation happens again. Still it is not clear why the symbols must be rescanned because another option causes UEStudio to rescan the symbols when saving a file. This option can be found in the dialog you mentioned. I am usually open a project by double clicking on the project file. This also causes UEStudio to reload all previously open files. Why does UEStudio rescan all projects and not only the one that is opened? :?:

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 08, 2008#4

I don't know exactly how the symbol updating mechanism works. I'm not an employee of IDM. I can tell you only my own observations.

Whenever a project is loaded, UEStudio first creates a list of all project files with the last modification time of every file. Next it compares for every file the last modification date of the project file with the last modification date of the symbol cache file for that project file. If the symbol cache file is newer than the project file, UEStudio has nothing to do on this file. The symbols are already up-to-date. But if the project file is newer than the symbol cache file, UEStudio runs ues_ctags.exe to get an updated list of symbols.

That last modification time check on all projects files on project open is necessary because project files could be also modified outside UEStudio or by another developer working on the same project as you.

If UEStudio always parses all project files on a project open although you are sure that no project file was modified, verify if you have write permissions at %appdata%\IDMComp\UEStudio\cache\ where the symbol cache files are stored. The cache directory has the hidden attribute, so you maybe can't see this directory in Windows Explorer depending on your settings.

As you see the path to the symbol cache directory contains your windows login name. So if you often switch between different user accounts and use UEStudio with every account, UEStudio must handle and update the cache for every account you use.

I don't know with which algorithm the strange file names in the symbol cache directory are created.

Why UEStudio updates on project load the symbols for all project files and not only the ones which are opened is easy to explain. C/C++ projects use often public functions, variables and defines which are defined in a source files which are often currently not open.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Dec 10, 2008#5

I found the same question too when I use 6.60. I turn the cache option off at Configuration - IDE - IntelliTips - Parser. then no ptoblem.my c: disk has more than 23 g bytes free space and no other problem.so,I think the software maby have some bugs.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 19, 2008#6

I've found the same problem with 6.60.0.1009. A couple of times per day, when I exit the program, it stays in the task manager with CPU usage stuck at about 25%. It's still there when I checked 15 minutes later. If I try opening the application again without killing the task in the task manager first, it will reload my previous project, but it doesn't reopen those files that I had open when I last exited.
              I'll also try running with the Intellitips symbol cache turned off for a while, to see if that helps. There's definitely a bug here somewhere.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 20, 2008#7

Maybe in your projects you have recursive includes and UEStudio does not detect that and runs into this "trap" resulting in an endless loop.

Or there are include or project files on a network drive which are currently not available resulting in a very long delay for every approach to access these files. Or there are files where UEStudio gets currently no permission to read. A damaged include file could be also possible.

UEStudio is not a compiler which recognizes pragmas and prerpocessor definitions/conditions which are used commonly to avoid recursive include file interpreting and to determine during compilation state which include files must be really interpreted by the compiler.

The usage of Filemon from SysInternals should help you to find the problem UEStudio has with your projects while parsing for symbols.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 22, 2008#8

When I arrived at work this morning, UEStudio was still running at 25% in the task manager, even though I exited the program when I left work on Friday. File Explorer & Process Monitor show that is has none of my project files open, and it seems to be stuck in a thread.