Vertical lines for every indentation level

Vertical lines for every indentation level

NewbieNewbie

Feb 02, 2005#1

I adore UltraEdit. The only feature I think we miss in Ultraedit is display of vertical lines for tabs if necessary as seen in Notepad++.

Check this image to see what I am talking about

That is very important feature as all of our code is properly formatted with tabs and it is very helpful for us to see where IF or FOR started and ended in the code.

The vertical line shown is called INDENT GUIDELINE.

Feb 02, 2005#2

Sorry for taking another message to say this:

The vertical line shown is called INDENT GUIDELINE.

Thanks,
      Sam.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Feb 03, 2005#3

srparvath wrote:The vertical line shown is called INDENT GUIDELINE.
        UltraEdit has something similar called "Column markers". But they are clumsy to set up and you are limited to two markers. Check the View menu.

Manni

NewbieNewbie

Aug 10, 2007#4

We are using UltraEdit v13 as Development Tool for programming.

I am very satisfied with the Brace Matching functionality but can UltraEdit also draw/show vertical lines so you can keep track easily which IF and ENDIF belong together?

I have attached a small screenprint from TOAD v9 where it is used and it can help a lot. (Look at the LOOP example.)
          Edit: Screenshot has been deleted later because the one of srparvath shows the same.

Many thanks in advance for your reaction.

Rob

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 10, 2007#5

Have you specified IF and ENDIF as fold/unfold strings? That would make it possible to quickly fold a block and so you could also see which code is inside matching IF/ENDIF.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Aug 14, 2007#6

Many thanks to Austria.

Yes, I have included the keywords in the wordfile.txt where they can be folded etc.

But I can see in the post from srparvath that I am not the only person wanting this feature. Maybe Notepad++ will be a perfect freeware substitute for UltraEdit ;-)

I am going to write a line to IDM for these 'Vertical Ident lines'.

Greetings

Rob

Dec 05, 2007#7

I agree! Option lines linking start and end tags would be nice.

I wish IDM would rework the whole wordfile concept, and instead go to plug-ins. And, just like they have made each configuration option assignable to hot keys, they should also make them assignable by file type in wordfile/plugin. This would go a long way towards making each type file truly configurable.

Basic UserBasic User

Re: Vertical lines for every indentation level in v15?

May 15, 2009#8

Hi folks,

I'm using UltraEdit v15. Does it have the following feature:

NotePad++ has a feature called Indent Guide, which would show you a guide (a dashed line straight down) between the opening and closing brackets, like so:

If so, how does one enable it?

Thanks!
                  Sean

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: Vertical lines for every indentation level in v15?

May 15, 2009#9

No, UltraEdit v15 does not support that in this way. But you can configure up to 12 column markers. For example if you work normally with up to 5 indendation levels, you can setup the first 5 column markers on the start column of the 5 indentation levels. The column marker feature is not 100% the same as showing a thin line between start and end tag of a block, but it could be nevertheless helpful for you. See also the power tip about Column Markers. The column markers can be quickly enabled/disabled by customized hotkeys - see in the key mapping configuration dialog the commands ViewToggleColumnMarkerx.

Basic UserBasic User

May 15, 2009#10

Hi Mofi,

Thanks for that tip! I will use it for now, but it's still not as aesthetically pleasing to the eye as how it's implemented in Notepad++. I will request this feature from IDM. Hopefully it'll be easy for them and they'll do it. :)

Sean

NewbieNewbie

Jun 30, 2009#11

Any update on the ability to print "staples" (the lines connecting IF/ENDIF) like:

some code here
                        | if x = 1
                        | then
                        | do something
                        | do something
                        | endif
                        do something else

??

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 01, 2009#12

jer99, I have moved your post now into the correct thread.

Current UltraEdit beta version v15.10.0.1009 has the option to show small horizontal lines in the code folding gutter as you can see on the screenshot from srparvath to mark the end of the blocks.

A thin vertical line in the column of first non white-space character of a block for the inner lines of a block is still not supported. UE v15.10 will have many enhancements for column markers which are thin vertical lines from top of the window to bottom of the window. The number of markers is practically unlimited. The column markers can be enabled/disabled at once by a command. An individual enable/disable of a marker is nevertheless possible too, for the first 12 markers also by command, for all others in the new set column markers dialog. And it is possible to define multiple groups of column markers each having a customizable name. So it is possible to use for example "C/C++ Markers" marker group for C/C++ files and when working with an XML file, set the marker group "XML Markers" active.

In my point of view a vertical line as you would like to have is useless for me. It works only for already well indented blocks. When the blocks are already well indented, why is a thin vertical line required? The only reason I can think off is that the indentation uses too many spaces (more than 3 spaces). In this case a thin vertical line could be helpful, but using less spaces for an indent would be helpful, too.

In the last 15 years I used a single space as indentation for my C and HTML files. Most of my colleagues told me that a single space is to little indentation, but those colleagues never tried to work with just 1 space for indentation. So they are talking about something they have never tried. Well, without a good syntax highlighting, a single space for indentation makes a C code really unreadable. But who views or edits these days a C code without good syntax highlighting? Using a single space has 1 big advantage, column number = level of indentation, and the column number is shown in the status bar. So when a line of my C code starts at column 5, I automatically know I'm on level 5 and there are 4 { above. As I continued a C++ project from one of my colleagues, I was forced to use his preferred setting of 2 spaces per indent (or to re-indent hundreds of files). That was also no problem for me. And for our new project we jointly come to the decision to use 3 spaces for indentation to help the beginners (which work according to the  books the use). However, for myself for example when writing HTML or XML files I still use only 1 space. Then I don't need wide screens and the files are smaller.

So what I want to say with my statement here, that all users have to use also just 1 or 2 or 3 spaces for an indent like I? No, definitely not. Everyone should use what is best for oneself. I just want to suggest, give an indent with 1, 2 or 3 spaces a chance and try to work with such an indent for 2-4 weeks. Maybe after working 50-10 hours with such a low value for indentation you will not have anymore a problem to read the code and you find this as useful as I.

Power UserPower User

Jul 03, 2009#13

Mofi wrote:In my point of view a vertical line as you would like to have is useless for me. It works only for already well indented blocks. When the blocks are already well indented, why is a thin vertical line required?
                            For the same reason that syntax highlighting is required: it's helpful. Indentation guide lines are useful for quickly seeing the range of a block. For example, you can see matching braces without having to first move the cursor to one and look around to see where the highlighted peer is. Moreover, you can see the range for multiple blocks at once. This doesn't matter much if your blocks are only a few lines long but is quite helpful for longer blocks. In the case of code folding these lines are more useful for seeing what would be folded that the folding lines that 15.10 has in the gutter.

MasterMaster

Nov 03, 2009#14

I would like to see the vertical lines for blocks of code, at least for those blocks that are within the defined braces in the wordfile.

When you have a block that you have to page 3 screens down to find the bottom of, and you have several levels of other blocks nested within, it is simply much easier to keep track of where you are in the code with those to help guide.

The vertical column markers are fine for some, but they do not show the end of one block and the beginning of another block.

I'll be waiting.
                              “Don’t document the problem, fix it.” – Atli Björgvin Oddsson

NewbieNewbie

Mar 10, 2010#15

I agree, I also miss this feature from Notepad++. Sure I could just use Notepad++, but I like UltraEdit much more.

Read more posts (5 remaining)