Rectangles in Lines containing find string

Rectangles in Lines containing find string

NewbieNewbie

Dec 09, 2008#1

Hi,

Recently I upgraded to UE and ever since every time I list my find strings I get the following result:

rectangles.JPG (46.01KiB)
    Rectangles in find listing

How can I get rid of the rectangles? They are really disturbing.
    I know those are the tab characters but so far those did not come up this way.
    My version is now: v14.20.1.1001
    Thank you in advance.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 09, 2008#2

Another user has written the same in the forum (cannot find it anymore, maybe already deleted) and I confirmed that tabs are no longer displayed with spaces in the list lines containing string dialog since UE v14.20.0.1033. Because there is no option to determine how tabs are displayed in this dialog and I interpret it as bug, I suggested the user to write and send a bug report email to IDM support. Don't know if the user has done this or not and so I don't know if IDM is aware of this display problem or not. Please inform IDM by email about this issue. An email with a short description and an link to this thread should be enough. I report only bugs to IDM which I found by myself.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Dec 09, 2008#3

Thanks.

No whitespace characters in Lines containing find string

Jan 23, 2009#4

Hi,

Not so long ago I had troubles with Lines containing find string and I posted it - see above.
          Now my problem is that there is absolutely no whitespace (tab, space) in this list which is very confusing.

Apparently this is a bug what IDM didn't know about.
          It seems to be an issue with Vista 64 bit.
          I bugged it.

NewbieNewbie

Oct 06, 2009#5

I've had the same problem since 14.20, so I was thrilled to see some changes in the new v15.20 ("edit font" used also in "List Lines Containing String" dialog).
            But was very dissapointed when I found that the problem is even worse in this new version!! :)
            The boxes/squares instead of TABs is now gone, but the TABs are now skipped completely making the result even more unreadable... And the font used is smaller than the edit font, so when using a small edit font (I use 9 pt) the text is messed up in the search result window. And the letter-spacing is wider (looks weird), line-spacing is bigger (not so much of a problem)

I'm running Vista 64-bit, but I think I had the "squares instead of TABs" problem on my old XP 32-bit also...
            I use "ProFontWindows", 9 pt as edit font (free font, popular for programmers: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/ProFontWindows)

I reported it to IDM yesterday, and the issue was forwarded to the developers, so hopefully it will be fixed soon now! :) ...the squares were irritating, but not fatal, but these new issues ARE indeed fatal and makes the function pretty unusable for me as I often use it in files with lots of TABs...
            TABs should be displayed as TABs and nothing else. Who would expect/think of anything else? :)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 31, 2009#6

dreadlox, is the display in the lines containing find string dialog now better with UE v15.20.0.1020 on your computer?

Horizontal tabs are again displayed as rectangles, but for my font settings (Courier New 10 pt) the display is fine.

Update: Starting with UE v16.00 the horizontal tab characters are not longer displayed as rectangles.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria