Windows 7 (Beta/RC) issues with UltraEdit

Windows 7 (Beta/RC) issues with UltraEdit

NewbieNewbie

Jan 22, 2009#1

Anybody using Windows 7 beta? Anybody having issues? Before bugging IDM about an OS they have no responsibility to support, I thought I would post here first.

Here's the first issue I've encountered: 'use active file directory for file open dialog default' (under configuration > file handling > load) is broken. Pretty inconvenient, as I always have numerous files open from numerous directories scattered all over numerous drives.

I'm using UE 14.20.1 on Windows 7 64-bit. I imported my UE settings from a Vista 32-bit install. Same machine, but the 2 OS's are on different physical drives, and the drive letter structure is different between the two. But I doubt that accounts for this issue; I suspect it has more to do with the new Win7 libraries feature.

If anybody can confirm this or has a workaround suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

NewbieNewbie

Jan 26, 2009#2

I am running the 32-bit version of Win7, and the latest release of UE (14.20.1.1008), and, Yes, the Open dialog seems to go to the directory last used for open or save, and not the directory with the active file.

Windows 7 and UltraEdit 15

May 06, 2009#3

I'm running Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100 and after installing Ultraedit 15, I was able to run it however it took FOREVER to start. I'm also running AVG and the resident shield seemed to be very interested in UE and the CPU was at 50% for quite some time. It turns out that if I changed the "Use Registry for settings..." setting under Advanced/Configuration/Application Layout/Advanced, it starts up without an issue now. The INI file seems to be set to c:\users\dboehme\AppData\Roaming\IDMComp\UltraEdit\Uedit32.INI. I'm not sure why AVG's Resident Shield doesn't like that vs. the registry but I don't have time to dig into it right now.

NewbieNewbie

May 08, 2009#4

I use 13.20a of UE. I was able to install it on the Win7 beta without any problems, but it doesn't seem to work on the release candidate :-( What happens when I try is that the Ghost installer splash appears briefly, and then that's it. The setup program is still running according to TaskManager, but nothing else will now happen.

I tried installing the demo version of v15, which did at least work, but UE itself then takes several minutes to start.

I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 7 RC. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 08, 2009#5

For the setup problem with the Ghost Installer see the thread setup problem. To shorten it for you: you need the MSI version of v13.20a which you can get by email from IDM support.

For the second problem see the post above yours. I just moved this post from the My 2 Cents forum visible only for registered forum members into this thread.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 08, 2009#6

Ah-ha :-) Thanks, much obliged!

NewbieNewbie

Re: Windows 7 and UltraEdit 15

May 12, 2009#7

douglasjboehme wrote:I'm running Windows 7 RC1 Build 7100 and after installing Ultraedit 15, I was able to run it however it took FOREVER to start. I'm also running AVG and the resident shield seemed to be very interested in UE and the CPU was at 50% for quite some time. It turns out that if I changed the "Use Registry for settings..." setting under Advanced/Configuration/Application Layout/Advanced, it starts up without an issue now. The INI file seems to be set to c:\users\dboehme\AppData\Roaming\IDMComp\UltraEdit\Uedit32.INI. I'm not sure why AVG's Resident Shield doesn't like that vs. the registry but I don't have time to dig into it right now.
                I've been experiencing the same issues with the same configuration (Win7 RC1 German, latest UltraEdit 15 German, AVG). Configuring UltraEdit to use the registry instead did the trick to speed up the launch, which took around 20 seconds with the .INI-file active. Thanks for posting your workaround!

Basic UserBasic User

Installing in Win7 - requires elevation?

Jun 06, 2009#8

I've noticed for v15 (and its hotfixes) in Win7 beta and RC that UE will not finish its install wizard unless I go well out of my way to elevate the install. It puts up a message eventually saying that I don't have sufficient privileges, at which point I have to cancel the install. Oddly enough, the new version is installed after all that, so go figure.

I say well out of my way since it's not an EXE but an MSI, and right-clicks on those don't show "Run as administrator."

Is there a particular reason for it 1) being an MSI and 2) requiring elevation? Please fix one or both things.

Note: I do have UAC enabled.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 13, 2009#9

I just tried to install UE 11.20b on Windows 7 RC (32-bit). After the splash screen nothing happens and the installer seems to hang (still visible in taskmanager).

Before someone asks, yes i do have the msi-version of the installer. It works fine under Windows XP with IE7 and Vista.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 13, 2009#10

Well, you are beta testing Windows 7 and it looks like you have found a compatibility problem. I think, you should contact Microsoft for this issue because an MSI (Microsoft Installer) package from January 2006 should be compatible with Windows 7 (from April/May 2009?).

Has Windows 7 also a user account control like Vista? Maybe it helps when you disable the UAC temporarily.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 18, 2009#11

Syntax highlighting wasn't working when I installed UE 15. By default the wordfiles are in "C:\Users\userid\AppData\Roaming\IDMComp\UltraEdit\wordfiles" but the install didn't create the directory.

It also created a wordfiles directory under "C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\wordfiles" so I changed it to use that one.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 18, 2009#12

That was probably a problem of your version of UE v15.00. There is a hotfix version 15.00.0.1047.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 19, 2009#13

So if you guys are still having this issue try XP Mode on Windows 7.
                            Sure it takes up some resources but it is very seemless and all your drives on your Windows 7 box is mapped auto magically.
                            Check out my instructions:

https://www.mowersclan.com/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=7159

NewbieNewbie

UltraEdit hangs in memory on exit - more info

Jun 27, 2009#14

Since upgrading to the latest version of UltraEdit, I find that UltraEdit hangs in memory about half the time, when I exit UE (I have to use Task Manager to kill it).

After reading some of the posts on Windows 7 problems, I decided to try the "Use Registry for settings" option. So far, with that setting checked, there have been no hangs. Maybe you can take another look at this problem, and why using the registry fixes it.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: UltraEdit hangs in memory on exit - more info

Jun 28, 2009#15

Are you using UltraEdit on Windows 7? That's not clear. You have written that you upgraded from a previous version. Maybe you should rename uedit32.ini to uedit32_old.ini while UltraEdit is not running and then start UltraEdit. Does it work better?

Sometimes after upgrading to a new major release with lots of changes like in v15.00 it is a good idea to let UltraEdit create uedit32.ini completely new with the method written above.
                                Then close UltraEdit, copy new uedit32.ini with the default settings for example to uedit32_new.ini, start UE again and use my macro Sort UE/UES INI from Macros for sorting INI and REG files on uedit32_new.ini as wells as uedit32_old.ini to sort the groups and entries in the INI files.
                                Next run a text compare and set the settings in uedit32_new.ini still existing in both INIs to the value stored in uedit32_old.ini.
                                Last close UE and copy uedit32_new.ini over uedit32.ini.

Now you have a new uedit32.ini with all your settings from your previous version as well as with all new settings with default values from the new version and without any setting not used anymore by new version of UltraEdit.

By the way: A similar process can be used by the users which uses the registry for their UE settings over a long time. Also the registry contains after several upgrades of major versions over years lots of not anymore used settings.

Read more posts (3 remaining)