Templates lost after upgrade from v14.x to v15.00

Templates lost after upgrade from v14.x to v15.00

NewbieNewbie

Apr 03, 2009#1

Hello I have just upgraded my v14 installation to v15 -without uninstall/reinstall- and, after the restart I have noticed that all my templates/snippets are gone... more than this, the templates tab is totally empty.

Do I have to suppose that there are no templates/snipped provided with v15 or that something were wrong during the update?

Thank you so much!

Stefano

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 03, 2009#2

Possible problem 1:

I guess just the template directory is no correct specified. Open Advanced - Configuration - Directories and browse to the folder with your template file. The default for new installations is %appdata%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\ with %appdata% is something like

C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data

depending on your Windows version, your user name and the letter of the system drive. The default templates have the extension *.te1.

Possible problem 2:

The templates are stored since UE v14.00 with a name identical to currently used environment. So maybe you have currently just one of the default environment active which does not have templates. Select at View - Environments the environment you have used before.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Apr 03, 2009#3

Thanks for the reply, I was able to find the templates into one of my previously saved *.te1 file :) ...maybe a new powertip/faq item? ;)

Best regards!

Stefano

Apr 20, 2009#4

I have the same problem of finding templates, but there may be a difference.

When I installed the upgrade, I decided to install it in a different folder than the old V14 (I needed consistency with other installations). In any event, it can't seem to find my templates. They seem to be in a file called "UETMPLTE.DAT" and I moved that file to the new folder and pointed the "Advanced->Configurations->Directories->Template Directory" to that folder.

What needs to be done to find it? Also, what other problems am I likely to encounter?

Thanks in advance...

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 20, 2009#5

I have still used uetmplte.dat in the template directory specified in the configuration dialog. But as I now have found out this was possible only because I have never saved my environment and switched to this environment or selected one of the default environments. That's the reason why UltraEdit has still used my former Advanced menu, my customized toolbar and the template file with the old name.

So I have made a backup of my configuration files, saved my current environment and selected it. After a restart my templates are gone. But no panic, I simply copied uetmplte.dat to Personal.te1, exited UltraEdit and restarted it and my templates are back. Personal is the name I have given my environment. So now I have Personal.in1, Personal.mb1, Personal.pb1, Personal.tb1 and Personal.te1 in the directory of uedit32.ini and everything is like before.

Apr 21, 2009#6

Thanks for the help. It took me awhile to figure it out and make it work, but for sure your advice was helpful, so here is what I found:

The Advanced->Configuration->Directories->Template Directory doesn't seem to do anything. Everything seems to be stored at:
              "C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\IDMComp\UltraEdit"
              and the extension of the file ends with the number one (not the lower case letter "ell", not the upper case letter "eye", but the integer number one) with the file name based on the profile selected. For me it is:
              "Power User.te1"

In any event, UE found my previous V14 templates and I can continue to use them.

Thanks for the help.
              EigenFunctions
              UE on Ubuntu 18 LTS
              Intel [email protected] GHz; 8 GB RAM; 1 TB HDD

Basic UserBasic User

UltraEdit 16.x not recognizing my previously saved templates

Mar 11, 2010#7

Has anyone else seen this? If so, how do I fix it? I clearly see the UETMPLTE.DAT file in the installed directory but need to get the tool to recognize it.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: UltraEdit 16.x not recognizing my previously saved templates

Mar 12, 2010#8

Since UE v14.00 every environment has its own template file name "environment name.te1" stored in the same directory as the other environment configuration files containing the menu, popup menu, toolbar and workspace settings (= state of views/windows, their positions and dimensions).

UETMPLTE.DAT is still used only if upgrading from a version prior 14.00 and still using "current environment". If you still use the environment from a previous version of UltraEdit, check the path of configuration setting Template directory at Advanced - Configuration - Directories and correct it when wrong.

But I strongly recommend to open View - Environments and press button Save Current State As to save your configuration as environment with your own name not using one of the standard environments. Then close UltraEdit and copy UETMPLTE.DAT to "your environment name.te1". The environment files are stored in the same directory as uedit32.ini which is normally the directory %appdata%\IDMComp\UltraEdit. You can see the path of uedit32.ini at Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced.
                  Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria