File tabs - file names get chopped off due to active tab using bold font

File tabs - file names get chopped off due to active tab using bold font

NewbieNewbie

Apr 30, 2009#1

I just got UE v.15 yesterday. I didn't notice this problem until I was actively making edits to a file, and then called away from my desk.
    In the past, I always relied on looking at the tab to see if there was an asterisk next to the file name (to indicate an unsaved change), but now I can't see the asterisk, due to the bolding making the file name too long. If I click on a different open file tab, then I can see the asterisk on the first file's tab. This is an unfortunate loss of functionality, just due to the bolding.
    Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a way to turn off the bolding? Or can you make the tabs a little wider?

(Note: I do try to save my files as I work. Often the "change" is due to an errant keystroke, and I DON'T want to save that change. But I want to be aware that a change was recorded.)

Power UserPower User

Apr 30, 2009#2

I don't see this behavior. Tabs are wide enough to accommodate bold text and an asterisk. Have you selected a different font or font size in the Windows display settings?

NewbieNewbie

Apr 30, 2009#3

I just got a new computer yesterday, so I have not messed a lot of stuff up. I just checked font, and the only font control I see is the the body of the file being edited. I tried reseting the fonts, decreasing and increasing, and this did not have an effect on the file tabs. I went into configuration, and went through the edit display and toolbar menus, and did not set anything, EXCEPT "Setting this may improve display issues with Clear Type fonts on Windows XP", so I clicked that. It did not fix this problem.

Are you using UE v.15?

Also, my screen resolution is 1280 x 1024. I have not set font settings anywhere else in Windows (that I know of).

p.s. - I just checked my Windows Display settings and font size is Normal there.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: File tabs - file names get chopped off due to active tab using bold font

May 01, 2009#4

Which version of UE v15.00 do you use exactly. Another user reported the same some weeks ago and if I remember correct the problem was fixed by IDM in the meantime. Make sure your version is v15.00.0.1043. The open file tabs are normally wide enough to display the file name bold and with the *. But it is possible that the calculation is wrong for certain file names depending on the characters.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

May 05, 2009#5

Thanks, Mofi, for your reply. (I've been swamped, and am just getting back to this issue.)

Yes, I confirmed that I am using UE 15.00.0.1043.

Thanks for the link to the Font Size topic. I tried adding those two lines of code to my INI file, but it seemed to have no effect. I tried changing the font family as well as the size, and saw no changes. (Yes, I closed the application and restarted between changes.)

Another interesting thing I noticed is that if my file name is short, <= 8 characters (plus extension), then I can see the asterisk on the active tab. If I rename to 9 characters, the file name will "overflow" and I lose the asterisk. Also, having the "Close Tab Button" on the active tab or turned off makes no difference. UE is smart enough to add extra space for that button.

Oh, well! I will learn to live with it. :) Thank you again for your input.

Basic UserBasic User

May 11, 2009#6

I can confirm another case.
              In my case, possibly relevant details are:
              • win2k SP4,
                2536x1600,
                UE 15.00.0.1043 and UE 15.00.0.1046 (both same problem),
                dockable tabs,
                types = multiline,
                close tab button = on active tab,
                tab colors by file spec
              It may happen even on active file with filename of 6 chars + 3 chars extension, after any modification.

Active and unmodified file may have its name truncated with ... when its filename exceeds some magic threshold. I have one 16 chars name that is fine and another 16 chars long that gets truncated.

Resizing the window changes the logic/thresholds. In my case it always involves redistribution of filenames on several lines in available horizontal space.

I have not logged it with IDM.

Regards,
              VU

May 15, 2009#7

Update:
                Problem is gone after .pui file got deleted (trying to solve another file tab problem) and regenerated.
                VU

Basic UserBasic User

May 16, 2009#8

Hi
                  I have same problem.

Huge annoyance, I lose both * and extension on long files.
                  I using newest UE.

I may have to revert to 14, due to this.

rgds
                  Cyrex

Basic UserBasic User

May 19, 2009#9

I have the same exact problem with UEv15 and I have notified IDM of this.
                    resolution: 1440x900
                    version: UE 15.00.0.1046
                    dockable tabs,
                    types = multiline,
                    close tab button = on active tab,
                    tab colors by file spec

NewbieNewbie

Jul 23, 2009#10

I had this too when I first installed v15, but I got it to go away. Not entirel;y sure how, but first I discovered the multi-line tabs. (That was great, I was so sick of scrolling tabs). I regularly have three lines of tabs open. Also, I have always used "double-click" on tab to close them so I saw no need for the "X" box. Try turning that off as well. One or both of those changes cleared it up for me.