Execute java swing programs

Execute java swing programs

NewbieNewbie

Aug 08, 2004#1

Hi,

Does anyone know how to execute a java Swing program from within ultraedit?

I'd like to be able to click the tool icon and have the current Swing program be executed and the window be displayed.

I've configured a tool to do this, and I checked the "Windows Program" box, but when I execute the tool, the dos window opens for a brief second but the java window from my program never displays.

I think the problem has something to do with the dos window closing so quickly - because I am able to do this with... dare I say! ... Textpad... and there the dos window does stay open while the java window is open. Once I close the dos window, the java window closes.

So... if there's a way to tell UE to keep the dos window open, maybe that would work.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
    Josh

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 09, 2004#2

What do you currently have your tool command set to?

Dan
      Daniel Kirkdorffer
      http://www.kirkdorffer.com/

NewbieNewbie

Aug 10, 2004#3

Dan,

I currently have it configured as:
        command line - java "%f"
        working directory - blank
        windows program - checked
        output to list box radio button - selected
        show dos box - checked
        capture output - checked

I've tried various combinations of the radion buttons and checkboxes.

btw - I'm using version 9.00b

Thanks,
        Josh

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 10, 2004#4

Assuming that the compiled classfile is in the same location and the source file...

Try this:

Command Line: java "%n"
          Working Directory: %p
          Only options checked: Output to List Box, Capture Output

The key is setting the Working Directory to the path of the code. This is a little odd, but it does work. Keep in mind you likely wouldn't be editing the .class file, and you want to have something like "java MyApp", not "java MyApp.java".

HTH,

Dan
          Daniel Kirkdorffer

NewbieNewbie

Aug 12, 2004#5

Dan,

Hey that's great - it works! Thanks for your help. Now I can come back from the dark side (ie, Textpad...).

btw - judging from your resume you have quite a bit of java experience... which ide do you prefer? I'm new to java so looking to see what people use and why. I've been using netbeans, but I'm finding that editing slows rapidly as the file size grows.

Josh

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 12, 2004#6

Glad that helped.

I actually worked with UltraEdit as my primary development tool for a while. This year I've been using Eclipse, or WebSphere Studio (based on Eclipse) most of the time, although I still use UltraEdit for a lot of things the editors in those tools can't help me with. I wish IDM would develop a plug-in for Eclipse for UltraEdit. Maybe if enough people ask them to they will.

I've never liked the look and feel of NetBeans. IntelliJ is another very nice IDE, especially for refactoring, but it isn't free. Supposedly Sun's Creator (ex-Project Rave) is also supposed to be good, but I've not played with it.

Cheers,

Dan
              Daniel Kirkdorffer