UE's handling of lines and line wrap

UE's handling of lines and line wrap

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 12, 2009#1

I have a question about UE's handling of wrapped lines. The way I have UE configured, lines that are too long to show on the screen wrap at the right screen edge. I have line numbers set in the left column so I can tell when a line has been wrapped (the "." appears)

My question is - is there any way to get UE to handle the actual FULL line (not each segment on the screen) as a line in edit operations?

What I mean is that if I do an EditDeleteToEndOfLine, it only deletes to the right edge of the screen, not all the way to the actual end of the true line. At least it's consistent - all the Edit options work only on the SCREEN line, not the actual line (e.g. EditMoveLineUp, EditSelectLine, EditDeleteline).

This can be very disconcerting, for example with moving a line up or down, only part of the line moves, just because you have screen wrap turned on. I do a lot of editing of HTML and often have loooonnnng lines, and the way UE works can make it hard to handle.

So, I guess what I would want is an option to handle lines as lines, regardless of the wrap setting (not with the cr/lf insertion wrap method, of course) - e.g. if I delete a line, the WHOLE line gets deleted.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 12, 2009#2

No, there is no such option. I suggest you create your own set of small macros stored in one macro file which is specified to be automatically loaded. You can use the macros via the macro list (View - Views/Lists - Macro List) or by hotkeys, if you assign appropriate keys to your macros. The macros use finds to select entire lines or parts of the entire lines (paragraphs). Here is an example for selecting an entire line in a DOS file:

UnixReOff
      Find Up "^p"
      IfFound
      GotoLine 0 1
      Key DOWN ARROW
      Else
      EndIf
      Find Select "^p"
      IfSel
      Else
      SelectToBottom
      EndIf

Or another example for deleting from current cursor position to real end of the line.

IfCharIs 13
      ExitMacro
      EndIf
      IfCharIs 10
      ExitMacro
      EndIf
      UnixReOff
      IfSel
      EndSelect
      Key LEFT ARROW
      Key RIGHT ARROW
      EndIf
      StartSelect
      Find Select "^p"
      IfSel
      Key UP ARROW
      Key END
      Else
      SelectToBottom
      EndIf
      EndSelect
      Delete
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 12, 2009#3

OK, thanks for the tips. It will give me a good chance to get more familiar with establishing mini-macros, too.