No context menu in Windows 7

No context menu in Windows 7

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 07, 2009#1

Well, okay, last time I checked the issue had been solved in Vista :D . So it seems that with Windows 7 we're back to square one: no context menus :( . Is anyone getting context menus with explorer.exe x64 in Windows 7?

NewbieNewbie

Sep 10, 2009#2

I e-mailed support about this previously... Here's the response from August 21st:
      Thanks for your message. We are aware that UltraCompare's shell integration is not compatible with Windows 7. We will support this in the future, but I am not sure exactly when this will be available.

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 11, 2009#3

We will support this in the future, but I am not sure exactly when this will be available.
        Well, lemme attempt an answer: that'll most likely happen just in time for the next Windows release :lol: (By "next Windows release" I mean whatever comes after Windows 7, of course.)

NewbieNewbie

Sep 11, 2009#4

It's actually pretty easy to see if the installer correctly determined that the operating system was 64-bit. Generate an install log either by enabling msi logging (using gpedit.msc) or by running the msi from the command line and specifying the logfile to create (msiexec /i <pathToMSI> /l*vx! <pathToLogFile>) and check the log for a Property called "VersionNT64". If it exists, the installer detected a 64-bit OS. If it doesn't exist, the installer failed to detect it. I've never seen an install fail to detect that the OS was 64-bit but I guess it's possible.

You can check to see if the DLL is 32-bit or 64-bit using Dependency Walker. The 64-bit version of Depends will display a "64" next to 64-bit dlls and a "32" next to 32-bit dlls. The utility is free...search for "Dependency Walker" to find it.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 11, 2009#5

Dependency Walker confirms that it's a 64 bit dll...

ShellViewEx confirms that the context menu is registered properly...

It just doesn't load when you actually right click on anything...

NewbieNewbie

Sep 11, 2009#6

I just installed this today on my new office machine (64-bit Windows 7 RTM) and it seemed to be working okay.

In Explorer, I right-clicked on a file and chose "Load in Ultracompare" and it was selected for the "first frame". I right-clicked a second and it was selected for the "second frame". I think went to the bottom of the menu and selected "run Ultracompare" and it launched the UC and a comparison was made. The "reset all" was working as well.

I don't like autoselect so I unchecked the "Enable auto select" box in options\configuration\shell integration and that worked okay. After disabling autoselect I had to actually select the frame for the file to load into (as expected). I was able to launch UC and do the compare from the "Run Ultracompare" menu item with autoselect turned off.

I did notice that the "integrate with Explorer" option in options\configuration\shell integration was unchecked even though the context menu was showing. Checking and unchecking that value didn't have any affect in how it showed up in Explorer -- it was displayed either way.

I did a search of the registry and there are a few keys that have UltraCompare values named "IntegrateWithExplorer" or "runShellExt". In each case, the value is "1" on my machine.

You also might try launching a command prompt and from the install folder type:

Regsvr32 /u UC_ShellExt07x64.dll

and then

Regsvr32 UC_ShellExt07x64.dll

to unregister and then reregister the dll.

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 12, 2009#7

Mike_JG wrote:You also might try launching a command prompt and from the install folder type:

Regsvr32 UC_ShellExt07x64.dll

to unregister and then reregister the dll.
                Yep, this one did it, thanks! :D

NewbieNewbie

Sep 12, 2009#8

Same here (on my home computer)... I'm sure it will do the trick on my work comp also...

Thanks!!!

Oct 07, 2009#9

Yes... I have an administrative account... I also have UAC disabled... If you have the/an administrative password: Right click on a shortcut for cmd and select run as/run as administrator (which ever option is displayed) and then run the regsvr32 command... You could also run "uc" from the same administrative command prompt to open UC and enable the explorer option...

Side note: I e-mailed IDM Support about what I will call an installation issue at the moment - where the dll has the wrong name... They noted that they are aware of this problem and have no ETA on a fix...

MasterMaster

Oct 07, 2009#10

I don't have Windows 7 yet, so I don't know if this still works, but it is known that context menu integration of UC in Windows XP only works on admin accounts or with a registry trick described here.

NewbieNewbie

Jan 20, 2010#11

Finally fixed in UC 7.00...

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 20, 2010#12

Kaymer wrote:Finally fixed in UC 7.00...
                          Awesome! Thank for the heads up!

MasterMaster

Mar 23, 2010#13

I just switched to Win 7 x64, and UC 7.00.0.1013 only integrates into the shell on administrator accounts. Shouldn't this be fixed now?

NewbieNewbie

Mar 27, 2010#14

I have the new version 16 with Win7 64 and the context were there...for a while. Now it is gone and re-registering does no good.

The UltraCompare context menu is still present, but I haven't used it yet. Perhaps using the context menu is the culprit. If it isn't used, it will always be present. ;-)

MasterMaster

Mar 27, 2010#15

IDM support have been able to reproduce the issue, they are looking into it...

Read more posts (1 remaining)