Convert HTML to XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Convert HTML to XHTML 1.0 Transitional

NewbieNewbie

Sep 17, 2009#1

I have been looking around UEStudio for a function which will automatically convert pages in HTML (such as 4.01) to XHTML 1.0 transitional (or strict). I cannot find one. Is there such a function?

Has anyone recorded a macro which will do the conversion?

Thank you for any assistance.

Mark Foster

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 18, 2009#2

mfoster wrote:Is there such a function?
      No, UEStudio does not have such a function. While there are not many differences between a valid HTML Transitional and a valid XHTML Transitional file, the differences between a valid transitional and a valid strict HTML/XHTML file are big. Depending on how good coded your transitional files are already, you could need lots of changes and additional CSS specifications to get webpages looking fine in strict mode. My experience is that when an entire website or webpage has not been designed from the beginning in strict HTML/XHTML, it is a waste of time to try to convert transitional HTML/XHTML files to strict.

You can declare your file as XHTML 1.0 Transitional and use Format - HTML Validation - Run HTML Tidy or Run CSE HTML Validator to get a list of errors and warnings and probably also an output which contains most mistakes fixed.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 18, 2009#3

Yep. Thanks very much. I used UltraEdit for a number of years. I then began using another program (mostly because of HTML-to-XHTML conversion function it has). However, I found UEStudio too much to resist. ;-)

Anyway, I realized that, by running Tidy (and selecting the convert to XHTML option), I am getting even better functionality than I was using the other program, so I am pleased.

Thanks again.

Mark Foster