CVS vs SUBVERSION

CVS vs SUBVERSION

Feb 25, 2005#1

Hello All,

I note that there is some movement towards version control support within ultraedit, its something I would like to see and it seems to be getting the votes.

Naturally enough the weapon of choice for version control would be cvs which is widely used and well established and therefore what I assume what everyone will be looking for.

Personally I am a fan of the newer subversion which comes from the same routes and already has massive deployment. It has much catching up to do before it matches CVS in those terms but I think it is a stronger tool that cvs.

Are there any others out there that would like to see subversion support as well as or instead of cvs ?

All that said maybe IDM will suprise us with ultra-version-control...

Any thoughts?

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Feb 25, 2005#2

ben_midgley wrote:Any thoughts?
      Maybe we should wait for CVS support before demand in subversion support?

Manni

Feb 27, 2005#3

:roll: yes manny, v.good.

No-one has demanded anything, just want a feel for the uptake of subversion BEFORE suggesting support.

Does anyone have any constuctive comment re: cvs vs svn ?

Feb 28, 2005#4

Hi ben_midgley & Manni

You know I was looking in "Power Tips" and found something I've never seen.
          Visual SourceSafe Integration
          Jump to next result in output window

And than there is a lot of talk about "What is this?"
          UEStudio '05 includes a CVS (Concurrent Versions System) interface in the Project menu. Please note: This is not supported in UltraEdit-32.

Which I found in the help file for UltraEdit version 11.00a+.

I'm just trying to confuse you, because I'm totally confused!

Feb 28, 2005#5

Hi Bill, - well done on the billions btw :lol:

I am no better informed than anyone else but...

I think to some extent I can answer this for you, ..... once upon a time in a far away land a man called Jan Slodoba created an app called uemake which was a cracking little suite of tools. It did have its own editor but nicely integrated with ultraedit and in fact I found it through the IDM partners list on this site. Jan gave up for reasons I don't know and sold out to IDM Solutions.

This suite uemake basically integrated loads of different tool-chains and allowed them all to exist on the same system without conflict.

I am an embedded systems engineer and I may have half a dozen tools running at any one time since I have used dozens of micros and believe me conflicts is a problem, environment variables, search paths with same exe names.... anyhoo I have been waiting to see these features appear in ultraedit for a while and I guess its on its way with this appearing in the help files. I believe uemake will become USDtudio'05.

This means that no matter the tools you are using it should be possible to use ultraedit to run them - nice, no DDE problems!

Visual Sourcesafe is a version control system which costs real money and the only benefit I can see for Visual Source Safe over CVS or SVN is that it integrates well with Microsoft Visual Studio.... so why would ultraedit users be interested?

Is IDM to compete with Visual Studio ?

Mar 08, 2005#6

Hi Ben

I found some more information, actually it was under our noses.

I downloaded the new UltraEdit manual in PDF format.

Well the title says it all.
              UltraEdit-32 /
              UEStudio '05
              Documentation
              So your point about "uemake" makes perfect sense!

Good Job Ben!

PS You're going to love some of the screen shots!!!
              Oh the manual is now 10 Meg!

NewbieNewbie

Apr 03, 2005#7

ben_midgley wrote:Hello All,

I note that there is some movement towards version control support within ultraedit, its something I would like to see and it seems to be getting the votes.

Naturally enough the weapon of choice for version control would be cvs which is widely used and well established and therefore what I assume what everyone will be looking for.

Personally I am a fan of the newer subversion which comes from the same routes and already has massive deployment. It has much catching up to do before it matches CVS in those terms but I think it is a stronger tool that cvs.

Are there any others out there that would like to see subversion support as well as or instead of cvs ?

All that said maybe IDM will suprise us with ultra-version-control...

Any thoughts?
                Yes, some thoughts...

I'm a recent user of UltraEdit (a few months now), and a very recent user of Subversion (a few days now!). I hope to as a next step integrate into UltraEdit using the tools capability. I think that perhaps I don't quite understand what you mean when you say that UltraEdit doesn't support Subversion. Isn't this just a matter of defining the appropriate command lines in the tools menu? It would seem that any vcs can already be supported in this way. Or if this is not what you mean, then what exactly would you consider that UltraEdit support of a given vcs would entail?

As far as CVS still being the weapon of choice, from my very recent research, I've found that most people, even the CVS developers, will disagree on this. I have so far got the impression that CVS had become a bit of a dinosaur, and it seems like, at least in the GPL world, that Subversion and GNU arch are the two most promising choices for administering new repositories. CVS doesn't even handle basic things like renaming source files, for example.

Larry

Apr 05, 2005#8

welcome aboard Larry !

you've made some very salient points well and I am in a bit of a hurry so I hope this doesnt muddy the waters....

You will be able to integrate svn into ultraedit for some basic operations but in order to get a smooth environment you will need to crack open your perl or your dos batch file manual.

For instance you have a project under cvs open in ulraedit and you want to edit a file, you need to checkout the file you are editing.. simple enough operation but you need to know the url of your repository and the label of the branch you wish to edit - you could do this by setting up 'project tool config' to always use the same url for that project and always use the head revision assuming your code doesnt branch to often, but thats just checkout, what about adding the comments for the checkin? I would murder any developer who checked into my repository without commenting their changes. I think you will find the limitations mean you spend at least 50% if the time using tortoise or the other GUI to handle your operations.

I agrea totally about the limitations of cvs, it was the original but sadly no longer the best. All credit to the developers, they have done a sterling job but I would expect to see it dying out over the next few years and the likes of svn and gnu-arch take over. The problem is which horse to back ? My vote is subversion - I really like the approach.

The reason I listed cvs as the natural weapon of choice is that that is the one most commonly used is still cvs, albeit legacy. New repositories are unlikely to be setup around cvs (from my experience too) but it has been around a long time, it is widely supported and used by many organsations and developers partly becuase it is familiar - there is also a considerable overhead in moving forward with these tools and this inertia will make it a popular choice -see if I am wrong.

good luck with both the tools I have been using ultraedit for 4/5 years now and wouldnt be without, subversion is relatively new to me too but I have given it a damn good kicking and feel pretty confident its going to be a long term relationship.

thanks for your comments.

Ben

Apr 06, 2005#9

I have to put in a little plug for my favorite version control software, SourceGear Vault (http://www.sourcegear.com/vault/index.html). The server portion is implemented using SQL Server and web services over IIS. Very easy to set up, even on a Windows XP Pro workstation.

robbiebow
                    robbiebow

Aug 19, 2005#10

The general consensus amongst developers here is that Subversion is the preferred version control system. Those that I know elsewhere who use CVS currently are projecting migration to SVN in the not too distant future. If UE came with SVN integration, it would be the first IDE I know of that does and suits the needs of Perl / HTML development.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 01, 2006#11

Eclipse hase subversion integration and JDeveloper will have it "very soon now" (tm).

So, here is one more vote for Ultraedit to get it too.
                        And UE as a plugin to Eclipse ;)

Håkon

Power UserPower User

Mar 03, 2006#12

The latest version of UEStudio - 5.1 has support for both CVS and Subversion. Hope this clears up some of the confusion.

Cheers...

Frank

NewbieNewbie

Aug 07, 2006#13

Has anyone tried to integrate svs with the UE tools configuration? I'd be interested in learning how anyone has done that.
                            I agree that better integration with subversion would be a very valuable feature.