Browsing in Open VMS Directories

Browsing in Open VMS Directories

NewbieNewbie

Dec 09, 2009#1

Guten Tag zusammen

I have the following problem with browsing trough the Open VMS 6.2 directory structure:

Connecting to the VMS via FTP is no problem. The default path definden to open at connecting displays the content of the VMS directory.
    -- For example: Subdirectory TEST_RESULTS.DIR;1 is visible in CASS:[PRODUCTION]
    Now opening the subdirectory TEST_RESULTS.DIR;1 fails.
    The Problem is: the FTP client tries to open CASS:[PRODUCTION.TEST_RESULTS.DIR]*.* (visible in the output window)

PIC1.jpg (81.96KiB)

How can I set the FTP client to open just TEST_DATA and ignore the .DIR?

Used UE: 15.20.0.1022 trial version

I hope u understand what I tried to explain an have a solution for my problem.

Thanks in advance for your help

Jan

NewbieNewbie

Dec 15, 2009#2

I'm experiencing similar issues.
      • UltraEdit 15.20.0.1022 on Windows XP Service Pack 3
      • OpenVMS 7.3-1
      I use UltraEdit 11.10a+1 on a daily basis due to its integrated FTP (and support for OpenVMS). My opinion of 15.20 is that:
      • The FTP Account Manager User Interface is greatly improved
      • The File Explorer support for FTP accounts is great
      • The FTP Open dialog has some improvements but has also introduced some issues:
        • Positive: The dialog has a better layout
        • Negative: Alt-D Shortcut to change the "Current Directory" is no longer available
        • Negative: Alt-L Shortcut to change the "Display Filter" is no longer available
        • Negative: Alt-N Shortcut to change the current FTP account is no longer available
        • Negative: Double-clicking a sub-directory in the file listbox doesn't change directory - it just refreshes the current directory
        • Negative: OpenVMS Logicals can't be used in the "Current Directory" text box because it seems that UE attempts to interpret whatever you type in that box before sending the list command. For example, if the current directory is DKA:[000000], typing SYS$LOGIN will attempt to request a directory listing for DKA:[000000.SYS$LOGIN] rather than just SYS$LOGIN (where SYS$LOGIN translates to something like DKA0:[USERS.FRED])
        • Negative: Once you have opened a file, UE will always use the full filename in the tab including the OpenVMS version, for instance "HELLO_WORLD.C;1". With UE 11.10 you can remove the file version before opening it (e.g. "HELLO_WORLD.C") and when you make modifications and save them VMS will always create a new version of the file ("HELLO_WORLD.C;2").
      I am yet to find another editor that offers FTP access to OpenVMS as easily as UltraEdit 11.10 and I'd love to upgrade to the latest version. However, unless there's some configuration options that I've missed, that won't be possible with the current implementation.

This was all meant to be constructive - I hope it came out that way! :lol:

Thanks

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 15, 2009#3

I don't use the FTP feature of UltraEdit and also don't know what Open VMS is. So I can't help you with your problems. I just want to mention here that you have to contact IDM support by email when you want your issues fixed in the next version of UltraEdit. IDM is not reading in the user-to-user forums as stated at top of every forum page. When no other forum member can help you please contact IDM support by email.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria