Path not appearing in file tree views

Path not appearing in file tree views

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 11, 2009#1

Win 7 64-bit, UE 15.20.0.1022: I'm unable to make paths appear in the Project and Open tabs of the file tree. I have "Display full paths in project list" turned on. Is there something else I need to do to get this to work? Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 12, 2009#2

For the Open tab in the File Tree View you have to right click into the view and uncheck option Show Names Only to see the open files with full path.

The configuration setting Display full paths in project list controls the appearance of the recent projects in the project menu. It looks like the help is simply wrong for this configuration setting. I reported this to IDM and asked for clarification.

The context menu of the Project tab in the File Tree View contains the context menu option Show (Relative) File Paths. I don't know what this option is for. For my test project there is no difference when enabling this option. Help of UltraEdit also does not contain any information on this context menu item on help page File Tree View Interface or anywhere else in help of UltraEdit. I asked IDM also by email for details about this context menu item of the Project tab in the File Tree View.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 12, 2009#3

Thank you for getting back to me. Showing the path works for me in Project and Open tabs, but in the Open tab I get what I'd expect, i.e. c:\users\[username]\Documents\[mydirname]\ and so on. In my case this goes 3 or 4 levels down (it's relevant), which isn't bad, imho. So, what I see is:

C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\[mydirname]\[mydirname]\[mydirname]\{[mydirname]}\[myfilename]

What I get in the Project tab is ... more complex. It looks like:

[projectname-icon]
        - [doc-icon]..\..\..\..\Users\[Username]\Documents\[mydirname]\[mydirname]\[mydirname]\{[mydirname]}\[myfilename]

Looks a little funky to me, but I don't need that tab for my purposes. The reason I was asking was that a new client's website is set up so that each page has its own directory and is named, of course, index.html, and working with a great wall of index.html files is excruciating. My monitor is large enough that I can run the editor wide enough to see what I need, so I'm definitely better off, and thank you for that.

I'd love to ask a couple other questions some time, esp. re: macro stuff. You're in all the forums as far as I can see, so I'll post in the right places (I hope). Thanks again.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 14, 2009#4

I got the answer from IDM support.

Configuration setting Display full paths in project list is indeed described wrong. The correct description is:
          IDM support wrote:Display full paths in project list
          If this option is selected, the project list at the bottom of the Project menu will display the full paths for projects. If this is not selected, the project paths may be shortened with an ellipsis.
          If the project file (*.prj) is stored in the directory specified as working directory (Start in) of the shortcut used to start UltraEdit, just the file name of the project file without file extension and path is displayed in the project menu if the setting Display full paths in project list is not enabled in configuration.

Show (Relative) File Paths works as designed and I understood now after receiving the explanation which is missing in help.

This option has no effect on dynamically added project files because the folder with the files was added as folder with a filter instead of creating a group and adding the files to the group.

For details about the difference between groups and folders in a project see Create project from an existing directory tree?.

Groups can contain files of various folders and therefore this option can be useful for those project files. But this option is not needed for a dynamically created list of project files found in a folder because the folder tree is always already displayed in the project view.

The path of files really added to a project (root or a group) are displayed relative to the project directory on enabling Show (Relative) File Paths whenever possible.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria