Hotkey for "Windows" (Alt-w w)

Hotkey for "Windows" (Alt-w w)

NewbieNewbie

Feb 28, 2005#1

Is there any way I can map a hotkey for the "windows" option (currently Alt-w then w)?

I'm doing a trial of UE, and I'm coming from many years of Boxer, and I use the file list window constantly.

Thanks in advance.

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 01, 2005#2

I think you're refering to the Output Window, which can be shown or hidden from the Window | Output Window menu (or Alt-W, W).

You can map this to a key (I use Shift F3) by going to Advanced | Configuration and selecting the Key Mapping tab. Under Commands, scroll down to ViewShow/HideOutPutWindow and click it. Put focus in the Press New Key text box and press the Hot Key you want. (It will show you if it is already assigned to another function or not.) Select Assign to map the key.

Hope this helps!

Dave
      ASTTMan
      I'm not a Texan, I just live here.

NewbieNewbie

Mar 01, 2005#3

Unfortunately, that's not the one. That was my closest guess, but I don't see what I'm looking for as an option.

If you hit Alt-W, or click on "Window" on the top menu, you get a list of options... Duplicate Window, Cascade, Tile... etc. At the bottom of that menu, there's a list of all the open files -- just below that list is the single word "Windows..." (with a default hotkey of 'W').

That gives you a popup with a full list of all open files. I'm wondering if that popup is listed in the keymap list, but just under some strange name.

Suppose I could make a macro for it, but seems it should be there. It's a handy way to scan all your open files, also handy way to close groups of them.

Thanks for taking a shot at it 'tho.

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 01, 2005#4

Sorry, on my version the W toggles the Output Window.

If you just want a list of open windows, try View | Views/Lists | File Tree View. You can show a list of open files, project files, or even files in a directory. You could map that to a hot key.

If at first you don't succeed...

Dave
          ASTTMan

NewbieNewbie

Mar 01, 2005#5

That's closer, but it lacks the file paths. Yeah, I know, I'm being picky.

Seems odd that they left that one command off the keymap list, but for the life of me, I just don't see it there.

If nothing else, I'm hoping one of them sees this, and they add that in the next release.

thx again.

Mar 01, 2005#6

actually, file paths can be displayed there, so it's very close.

still like that other popup window, but this'll work :)

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 01, 2005#7

You beat me to it. I was about to post the following:
                The display of file paths is optional. You can right click in the window and check (or in your case, uncheck) the Show names only option.

You can also anchor the window or make it float free. While I usually use it anchored, if you want the paths, then it might be better to make it free floating so you can reshape it to better show the full paths.
                Happy editing!

Dave
                ASTTMan