User to user discussion and support for UltraEdit, UEStudio, UltraCompare, and other IDM applications.

Display customization and font issues
67 posts Page 2 of 5
Outstanding work rhapdog
Unfortunately, the program does not recognize the UE mobile version. Can you fix that?
To recognize the UE Mobile version (which is the PortableApps.com version, not the old UE3 version), then download and install the PortableApps.com version of UltraEdit Companion, and install it on the same USB device as your UE Mobile. It will then recognize it.

The Desktop version was not designed to work with the UE Mobile. The Portable version is.

In other words, download the Portable version made to work with UE Mobile.

If you are using the Portable version and it is not recognizing your UE Mobile, then please let me know exactly how the drive/paths are set up, and where you have installed UE Companion Portable, and where you have installed UEP. Also, confirm you are not using UE3 or a version of UEP prior to 15, as it does not work with those products.
After putting the companion utility in the same path as UE Mobile, everything is working fine. You have done a fantastic job!
Thank you very much.
Putting it in the same path as UE Mobile will work, however, it will not transport your settings from one machine to another. For that, you will need to install the PortableApps version.

The PortableApps version will still detect installations of UltraEdit and UEStudio installed on a local machine, as well as the PortableApps version UE Mobile.

The regular version writes settings to "%APPDATA%\uecompanion", so you are leaving settings scattered on different machines if you do it in this manner. It is best to use the PortableApps version of the program (download link is available in first post of this topic) if you wish to use it in a portable manner.
Version 2.5.0.1797 has been released.

This fixes 2 known bugs and adds a few new features, below:

• Added Hue, Saturation, and Lumin adjustments to right click color menus.
  • Added Hue, Saturation, and Lumin adjustments to the Custom Palette.
  • Enabled Update Checking and Auto-updates.
Once you have this release, future new releases can be detected as long as Auto-updates are enabled.

It should also download the appropriate release, whether desktop installation or PortableApps when a new version is detected.
MickRC3 wrote: Rhapdog, this tool sounds great. But...

Where I work we have no admin rights and can't install anything. Can it run in a portable mode? We aren't allowed to use USB drives but I could run it from a CD-RW or copy to a directory on my hard drive provided it doesn't need any admin rights.

Well, I'm revisiting this quote, because now I have a better answer for you.

Portable Mode is for USB usage, and if you are allowed to use a USB drive, you should use the PortableApps version download from the first post in this topic.

If you would like to run the program from a CD-RW, then install it, copy the program path to the CD-RW (you will need to be sure to copy the user_guide path, and any other files installed). Do NOT use the PortableApps version, as it will need to write to the program directory. Use the standard installation version.

You can then run it. It will create the configuration file it needs to write to in the user's %APPDATA% path, so it will not be in stealth mode, but it will work without administrator rights for XP, Vista, and Windows 7. I'll see about updating the user guide to include information on how to run it from CD-RW before the weekend. However, I'll probably just post that online for now, and it won't come out with the program itself until I put out another program update.
Okay, a bug I just introduced in this last one prevented it from loading properly when attempting to open from Windows Explorer.

It is now fixed, updated, uploaded, ready to download (again.)

I have done some more thorough testing, and that should be it as far as I can tell.

Version 2.7.2.2151 is now available.

Output Window will have it's own separate font in UE 18.10 (of which some of us have a beta for testing.) I had thought about including "setting" the font of the output window from within this program, however, I'm afraid that won't be possible the way it is currently implemented. IDM has parted from the way they have included "readable" font information in the INI file, and it is now a hexadecimal value. When I set it to Andale Mono 10 point regular, I got
Code: Select all
OutputWindowFont=F3FFFFFF000000000000000000000000900100000000000003020131416E64616C65204D6F6E6F000000000000558002C8FA2400B8C79C008B870000A0

as the value for it.
I have made a maintenance release. This release does not include any new features, but it fixes a couple of particularly nasty bugs.

One in particular is if you have any files that are not wordfiles, or if some of the wordfiles do not have a valid language definition line, then the program may either update the incorrect wordfile or corrupt it. I have created a new method of matching up wordfile filenames with the language name in the list, and it is working flawlessly now, even in paths that are littered with other types of files.

Version 2.7.3.2234 has been released.
As there have been no more bug reports, and I have been unable to uncover any further issues with the current version of the program, maintenance work on the current version has been stopped.

I am now working towards version 3 of the product, which will be greatly improved. I have been working on serious code refactoring, streamlining code, making functions/routines more efficient. Load time has increased on this internal build, as well as performance of a number of features.

Some of the tabs will be laid out completely different in version 3. Syntax Coloring and Color Scheme will remain the same, but there are a lot of enhancements elsewhere.

In particular, the word file tools are being expanded to include new tools. Many of you already know that I have been working on converting Mofi's Syntax Tool Macro so that this program will be able to Sort, Test for Duplicate, and Test for Invalid words in a much faster and more efficient manner. I will also be providing executable versions of these tools so that some users, who prefer to do all the work within UE, can use them as command line tools added to the tool menu.

In addition to adding these tools, there will be other major additions to the functionality of the program. A new Language Definition tab under the Word File Tools tab is being added, and will be able to display the language definition line information in a more readable format as well as make it easier to edit without problem.

As a preview, I give you the following:
uec3.png
uec3.png (62.65 KiB) Viewed 5271 times

One thing not in the preview is the ability of the upcoming UE 18.10 to activate Code folding based on indent level with the new flag "EnableCFByIndent". This will be implemented in the release when ready.

There are other features that are planned, that I will not mention yet. Let's just say those who like to create, edit, enhance and/or improve wordfiles will want version 3 in their arsenal of tools. Since there are so many features planned, and I would like to have them all in place in order to make a major version release of the product, then I will likely take the time to properly complete all the features before another release of the utility is made. I may, perhaps, pick up a few people as beta testers between now and then as I have features ready for testing, if there are people interested in helping with that.
Hello, thank you for this tool.
I have installed UltraEdit Portable on my USB flash pen under the path:

K:\PortableApps\UltraEdit

I'm not able to start the tool because it does not find the ini file.
I have tried many times to change the path pointing to a .ini file without success.

Please, can you help me?

Thank you
Only the PortableApps.com version will work with UltraEdit Portable (a.k.a. UE Mobile), and it must be installed on the same portable device in order to work.

The standard installation of UECompanion will not work with UltraEdit Portable.

Also, if you change the path of the INI of UltraEdit Portable instead of leaving it in its default location, then it will not work. That is, if you moved the INI file to the UltraEdit Portable program directory, it won't work.

With 176 downloads of UECompanion Portable, I would think someone else would have stated there is a problem if it didn't work. Are you positive you downloaded the PortableApps.com version of the program? You can get it here -> http://www.danielwmoore.com/extras/inde ... w;down=973
Update: Just letting you good people know that development on this utility has not stopped. I am currently working on the next version... version 3.0, of the utility.

Some of you may have noticed that I have been working on a command line tool for SortLanguage, to replace that part of Mofi's Syntax Tools macros. It still needs further testing, but the way I have written it is as a "library" that the SortLanguage program calls (included and compiled with the exe), so it has made it easy for me to assign the same functionality to a button in UE Companion.

Just as with the "Install Syntax Highlighting" and "Remove Syntax Highlighting" that my program does, the new "Sort Words" button (not yet released) will sort the wordfile according to the SortLanguage utility, but without having to have a separate executable or DLL. And, you'll be able to make the selection on multiple or all wordfiles within a directory. I ran a test using a directory that contained 650 User submitted wordfiles (which included several of my own used in testing this program), and it sorted all 650 wordfiles in about 13 seconds. I have to admit, I was astonished.

Once the final testing has been done on SortLanguage, and as soon as I have developed "Test for Invalid Words" and "Test for Duplicate Words" and have had the opportunity to thoroughly test those as well, then you can expect a new release.

These will not be the only changes/additions to the program. I have enhanced usability in many areas of the program, added more configuration options, and added more features. There is still a long way to go before I get 3.0 out in a release status, but it will be worth the wait.

I have also added "Categories" within the theme file. You will be able to select either "Light Background" or "Dark Background" as a category for a theme. You will be able to "Filter" by a single category, all categories, or all that are "uncategorized".
If you have the latest version of UltraEdit Companion Utility (currently at 2.7.3.2234), you will notice there is a support email address listed. I will not list it here as I do not wish it to be harvested by spam bots.

If you are a person who would like to sign up as a beta tester for the next phase of testing and get to try out the new goodies ahead of anyone else, then send me an email to that support email address and let me know. I could use a few beta testers to help me get everything polished and in good working order before the next general release to the public. I can assure you that your privacy will be protected and your email address will never be given out. You can read my privacy policy at: http://www.danielwmoore.com/privacy/
If you're still concerned about privacy after reading the policy, then just remember you are not required to sign up for the beta testing program.

Beta testers will continue to have access to the latest beta versions that come out over the next several months as I continue to add/refine features.

The first beta will be available fairly soon after Mofi has approved the SortLanguage command line utility.

I apologize for having to require emails sent to me for beta testing, but it is the only way I can do this where I can send out login/password details so that you can download the beta without it being available to the general public, and so that I can notify you of a new beta release without notifying the public.

You do not need to post here to become a beta tester. Just send me the email.
Since I have decided to add the "Light Background" and "Dark Background" categories so that you can filter by light and dark themes, I have run into a bit of a dilemma. I want to make it so that you can run an "upgrade" tool for your current themes, so that it can "auto-detect" whether it should be classified as dark or light. Also, when importing Visual Studio themes, since you could import in bulk, I need to determine the same thing there.

Question is, how do I have the program determine what is a light and what is a dark theme? In my mind, I believe it has to be the "luminosity" of the Plain Text Background color. In the Windows Color dialog, you can set luminosity from 0 to 240. In my program's custom palette, it can be set from 0 to 255. So let's talk "percentage", where 100% is full lumin (240 or 255), and 0% of course would be zero lumin.

100% creates the color white. 0% creates the color black. At what percent should we use as a threshold to call the color a "dark" theme instead of light? This is rather individual preference, but I would like a bit of input here. I'm thinking 60% lumin.

Could anyone else give some input on this?
67 posts Page 2 of 5