Adding documentations or books for quick reference

Adding documentations or books for quick reference

NewbieNewbie

Feb 23, 2010#1

I'd like to have a feature added to UltraEdit's "file view" tab. I'd like to see a "Books" or "Documents" tab added that one can store pointers to various forms of documentation. Keil's C compiler has this and I use it a lot. You could add a pdf of your micro processors user's manual, a pdf of a library routine file, a doc file that has a memory map, ... UltraEdit does not have to display the file, it just has to launch the correct viewer/program associated with that file type. This saves a lot of time hunting down datasheets and documentation scattered all over your computer.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

NewbieNewbie

Feb 23, 2010#2

You mean like using the already available Help menu?

Help - Add Help Files

This can take any file, location even website and open in the correct viewer. I have a bunch of help files and a couple websites added in my app. I have found it to be very helpful.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Feb 23, 2010#3

deckyon wrote:This can take any file, location even website and open in the correct viewer.
        I'm running UEStudio 9.30 at the moment so maybe it's a bit different than UE's "Add Help File" support, but for me it'll only accept .hlp and .chm files.

I'd second the OP's request, and add that in addition to having a library of books that might be globally configured, it might be nice to have per-project libraries as well. I've always just navigated to relevant data sheets and other docs through explorer; having them in the UE interface would be a nice feature that had just never occurred to me before.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 24, 2010#4

I suggest to use the user tools or for projects the project tools to launch on execution of the tool the application needed for displaying the help or documentation file you want. Of course you can specify in the user/project tool configuration just the file name of the help file and let Windows find out which application is needed to open this file, but better is to specify in the command line the application and the help / documentation file to open as parameter. User/project tools can be used also to launch your favorite browser with appropriate URL including also the selected word or single line text in case of URL is refering a search engine.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 24, 2010#5

mwb1100 wrote:I'm running UEStudio 9.30 at the moment so maybe it's a bit different than UE's "Add Help File" support, but for me it'll only accept .hlp and .chm files.
            You can type in websites to the Add Help File. I have a couple in for Google, MSDN and a couple other spots.

The tool configuration is another place to run/call/use files as well. I have some exe's set up there for things like WMICodeCreator.exe and a custom debugger as well as some HTAs.

What is being called for is already part of the application.

Aug 03, 2011#6

I still can't figure this out. I am using UE 9.10. Wondering if this is possible?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 03, 2011#7

mikesutherland2: What do you use and what can't you figure out?

Do you really use very old UltraEdit v9.10 or much newer UEStudio v9.10? The old versions of UltraEdit supported only adding *.hlp and *.chm files as the help page Add Help File command still explains. But newer versions of UltraEdit and UEStudio support also a URL for Help File.

And those versions of UE and UES are installed by default also with a Web Search toolbar containing 10 commands to call websites with the selected string. The URLs for these websites can be configured at Advanced - Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Web Search.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 16, 2011#8

Mofi, do you or anyone know if the icon for the 10 default Web Search buttons can be changed? I noticed there are two "Whois" searches and I only need one. I decided to make Network Solutions button do a search on w3schools.com but the icon on the button still shows the Network Solutions icon. How can I change it to be the w3schools.com icon which I have downloaded from their website?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 16, 2011#9

The icons for the standard websearch commands are stored in ueres.dll (UE) respectively uesres.dll (UES). You can nevertheless change them. Right click on the toolbar and left click on Customize Toolbar. On left side select the command whose icon should be replaced. Click now on button ... on bottom left to open the browse dialog and select the *.bmp or *.ico file with 16x16 (standard) or 24x24 icon (large). Then close the dialog with button OK. The color of the pixel in top left corner of the icon is interpreted as transparent color.