How to register UltraCompare Professional to be detected by UltraEdit?

How to register UltraCompare Professional to be detected by UltraEdit?

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 24, 2010#1

Hello,
    I have this issue.

I cannot install UltraEdit 16 (UE) and UltraCompare Professional 7.10 (UCp) on my Windows XP Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise computer, because I'm not an Administrator.

So, what I do is to use UniExtract (http://legroom.net/software/uniextract) to get the program files and start the UE and UCp from that.
    Also, I copy my .REG files to both %appdata%\IDMComp specific folders.

But the UE is like it doesn't recognize that the UltraCompare Professional is installed.
    So, what I'm missing?
    What should I do to make UE recognize that I have purchased UCp? Any registry modification? Any file that I need to copy?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    pepemosca

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 25, 2010#2

It would be definitely better to install both applications using the MSI installer. As far as I know (I'm using Windows XP) the Microsoft Installer has its own account and therefore can make the registrations which you can't do with your restricted account. Without installing UE and UC you can't use the FTP/SFTP and Telnet/SSH feature and of course UC does not know, if and where UE is installed and vice versa.

You need to register both applications with following registry file. You have to adapt probably the paths of the applications.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\uc.exe]
      @="
      C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraCompare\\uc.exe"
      "Path"="
      C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraCompare\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\uedit32.exe]
      @="
      C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit\\uedit32.exe"
      "Path"="
      C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit\\"
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 25, 2010#3

Thanks Mofi for the reply.
        So, maybe I should get the Portable edition of both programs.

Too bad is not a simple thing to make them "know each other".

How does the UltraEdit Portable edition knows where the UltraCompare Professional Portable edition is?
        Will the Portable edition solve my problem of not being Administrator and being able to use the UC integration with UE?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 26, 2010#4

pepemosca wrote:How does the UltraEdit Portable edition knows where the UltraCompare Professional Portable edition is?
          Will the Portable edition solve my problem of not being Administrator and being able to use the UC integration with UE?
          I cannot answer both questions because I don't use the portable versions of UE and UC. Can somebody else answer those 2 questions?

MasterMaster

Apr 26, 2010#5

Try editing your UEdit32.ini file and adding the following line under the [Settings] section:

Compare EXE="fully qualified path of EXE"

Note that UEdit32.ini might exist in several locations on your system. Make sure the change is implemented in the ini file used at runtime.

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 27, 2010#6

To be honest. I've tried that solution:

Code: Select all

Compare EXE = "fully qualified path of EXE"
              And is not working.
              Should I do something more?
              UltraEdit 16.30.0.1003
              UltraCompare Professional 7.20.0.1009
              Windows Vista Enterprise, 64 bits, Spanish

MasterMaster

Apr 27, 2010#7

Have you looked in

Advanced -> Configuration... -> Application Layout -> Advanced

to verify the location of the .ini file?
                My .ini file is located in:

C:\Users\Bulgrien\AppData\Roaming\IDMComp\UltraEdit\UEdit32.INI

I inserted the new key alphabetically as follows:

Column Overstrike=0
                Compare EXE="C:\Program Files (x86)\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare\UC.exe"
                Confirm Rem Fav=1

UE correctly follows the path specified in the .ini file (if I specify a different executable, it launches in place of UltraCompare). However, I do have UE an UC installed correctly, so I cannot confirm whether or not this method works with uninstalled versions of each application.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 28, 2010#8

Please note that all setting in uedit32.ini must be specified without spaces arround the equal sign. So

Compare EXE = "fully qualified path of EXE"

does not work, but

should work. Also take into consideration that this is not a good solution because it disables all options you have when using UCL or UC Prof. with correct registration in the Compare Files/Folders dialog.

I used now Regmon from SysInternals and found out that first the keys and values I posted are searched for in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and when not found as on my computer next in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. The installers add them only to HKLM, never to HKCU, but you can probably use

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\uc.exe]
                  @="
                  C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraCompare\\uc.exe"
                  "Path"="
                  C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraCompare\\"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\uedit32.exe]
                  @="
                  C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit\\uedit32.exe"
                  "Path"="
                  C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit\\"

and your problem with UC and UE registration should be solved.

Basic UserBasic User

Oct 01, 2010#9

Sorry, never post back... but this solution:

Compare EXE="C:\Program Files (x86)\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraCompare\UC.exe"
                    Kind of works.
                    I cannot do a 3-way compare... but at least opens the UCPro.

Jan 03, 2011#10

Are you sure is the same code for Windows Vista 64?

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\uc.exe]
                      @="C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraCompare\\uc.exe"
                      "Path"="C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraCompare\\"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\uedit32.exe]
                      @="C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit\\uedit32.exe"
                      "Path"="C:\\Program Files\\IDM Computer Solutions\\UltraEdit\\"
                      Because it doesn't work well on that system.
                      I mean, I get the same options if I just do the .INI modification compared if I do also the .REG adding.

Check what I see on UltraEdit, when I press the UC button:
                      Dibujo.jpg (45.78KiB)
                      UltraEdit 16.30.0.1003
                      UltraCompare Professional 7.20.0.1009
                      Windows Vista Enterprise, 64 bits, Spanish

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 04, 2011#11

pepemosca wrote:Are you sure is the same code for Windows Vista 64?
                        Nothing on this topic was about 64 bit version of Windows Vista. I posted the registry keys for 32 bit versions of Windows. I don't have any computer running a 64 bit Windows. So I don't know which registry keys must be set for 64 bit Windows. Perhaps another 64 bit Windows user who has installed UltraEdit and UltraCompare can take a look into the registry.

However, the paths of the keys will be maybe the same, just the installation folder of 32 bit UltraCompare is surely not the same on a 64 bit Windows than on a 32 bit Windows. As far as I know there is C:\Program Files for 64 bit applications and C:\Program Files (x86) for 32 bit applications. So at least the application path must be adapted. Perhaps in registry of 64 bit Windows there are also two different paths for 32 bit and 64 bit applications. But without any 64 bit Windows I can't verify that.

But you can find the required keys also by yourself. After starting UltraEdit and loading 2 files, download, unpack and run Process Monitor from SysInternals (Microsoft). For the Process Monitor Filter add an Include filter for a process with Process Name is uedit32.exe. On the 5 symbols on right side of the toolbar of Process Monitor, enable just Show Registry Activity and disable the other 4 options. Now click in UltraEdit on the symbol for comparing files or click on Files - Compare Files. Switch back to Process Monitor, stop capturing by clicking on the magnifying glass in the toolbar of Process Monitor (that will take some seconds) and analyze the log from top to bottom, best by using the search feature (binoculars symbol) and searching for uc.exe. You will see which registry keys are searched by UltraEdit for determining if UltraCompare Professional is installed and in which order. Of course Process Monitor needs administrator privileges, so you might not be able to use it. But other 64 bit Windows users reading this can now perhaps help you.

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 04, 2011#12

Here is the Registry information for a Windows Vista 64 bits:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\uedit32.exe]
                          "Path"="C:\\Archivos de programa\\UltraEdit\\"
                          @="C:\\Archivos de programa\\UltraEdit\\uedit32.exe"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\uc.exe]
                          "Path"="C:\\Archivos de programa\\UltraCompare\\"
                          @="C:\\Archivos de programa\\UltraCompare\\uc.exe"
                          Also, if you do this Registry add, you have to not do the addition in the UEdit32.ini file: