Setting a background color for single files manually

Setting a background color for single files manually

Basic UserBasic User

May 18, 2010#1

Hello,

is there a function or add-on in UltraEdit 11.10c (or a higher version) to set a background color for single files manually, i. e. not by a configuration and not depending on the file type, if yes, which?

Intention:
    I have files with the same name and similar content, but of different versions (from a file version control system).
    I'd like for the current UltraEdit session to colorize one of these files, e. g. that of the older revision, with a colored background (to distinguish both files easier).

Thomas Wiedmann

MasterMaster

May 18, 2010#2

In a word, no.

However, if the older revisions can be made "read-only" (or perhaps you can "open as read-only" for the older revision) then the new version of UE and UEStudio allows you to specify a different background color for Read Only files. This might be a possible workaround for you.
      “Don’t document the problem, fix it.” – Atli Björgvin Oddsson

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 18, 2010#3

Any named file (not new, unsaved files) can be made read-only at any time by using the command Edit - Read-Only. I use that command (by hotkey or what have you expected :)) to quickly prevent myself on editing a file by mistake when I don't want any modification on that file, for example for a task as Thomas has described.

The configuation setting Change file read-only attribute when changing menu setting at Configuration - File Handling - Miscellaneous determines if changing the read-only mode for the file via the command causes a file attribute change done by UltraEdit or just enables/disables the write-protection of the file inside UltraEdit without changing the file attributes. I don't have enabled this setting because my files are in general always without read-only attribute. When not enabling this setting and the file has the read-only attribute set, using the command to disable read-only mode nevertheless works and modifying the file is possible when using a temporary file, but saving the modified read-only file opens then the Save As command because the original file is still read-only.

That completes now the absolutely correct statement from rhapdog.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria