Setting "Reload files previously open" not working (solved)

Setting "Reload files previously open" not working (solved)

NewbieNewbie

Mar 09, 2005#1

I recently upgraded to UE 11 from UE 8, running on WinXP. I have checked the box in configuration telling the program to "reload files previously open". But when I restart the app, the files do not open. I have relied on this behavior for years with previous versions of UE. I inspected the .ini file and as far as I can tell the information on open windows is being properly recorded there and the flag for this feature is set to "1." Any help? Thank you in advance.

NewbieNewbie

Apr 08, 2005#2

I'm having the same problem here.

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 08, 2005#3

Are you talking about local files or files opened up over ftp? I can get both files to reopen as expected.

What version are you running? I have 11.00.b+1 and I turned on the option through the menu:
        Advanced ->
        Configuration ->
        General (tab) ->
        File Handling Items ->
        Reload files previously open on startup
        --and--
        Reload FTP files when reloading a project or last open files

I did this a few days ago and when I shut down last night, I left a few files open. When I booted up this morning and opened UE, the files were reopened as expected. BTW the default install had both flags turned off...

Check your UE version number and the menu setting. If those are OK, I wonder if the value can be overridden somehow (like a custom ini file or something)?

NewbieNewbie

Apr 08, 2005#4

Thanks for the answer. I was using local files only. The problem lasted about 3 days from my upgrade and then disappeared. I don't know why, but all's well now.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 29, 2005#5

rumer wrote:Has anyone else had this or know of a solution to correct it? My UE 11a started doing this today for no reason. I'm using local files only and my reopen files previously open is checked.
            Have you worked with a project in the past?

If so, close it and exit UE. When option "reload files previously open" is active and a project is open, UE only reopens the file stored in the project file and it's possible that your project file does not contain any [Open Files] entries.

If not (menu item "Close Project/Workspace" is not available), set following in the ini (uedit32.ini), deleting all existing entries of this group:

[Open Files]
            Active File Display Mode=-1
            Active File Index=0
            Remember Files=1
            Open File0=

Make a copy of the uedit32.ini before editing, just for security. Modifications to uedit32.ini should be done with Notepad and not with UE (or with UE which uses a different ini, specified via command line parameter).

NewbieNewbie

Jul 25, 2007#6

This does not work for me. I have had the option turned off in my UE 12.20b for some time, yet every time I open UE the previously open files are loaded.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 25, 2007#7

Uncheck the settings:

Reload files previously open on startup
                Reload FTP files when reloading a project or last open files

at Configuration - File Handling - Load and additionally just for security also

Open from Explorer also loads file list

at Configuration - File Handling - Advanced.

Close UltraEdit and restart it.

If this does not help, look at Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced where you can see which INI file is used. Open that INI file and verify following settings:

[Settings]
                Reload FTP Files=0
                Open from Explorer also loads file list=0

[Open Files]
                Remember Files=0

If you use the registry instead of the INI search for the same settings at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit

Note: I never use the registry for settings, so I don't know how exactly these 3 settings are stored in the registry.

If all the settings have the correct value and the previously opened files on close of UltraEdit are still opened at startup, then you might use a workspace/project without knowing it. See in menu Project or File - Project if item Close Project/Workspace is not grayed out which then means you have currently open a project/workspace. Close it now. Additionally check the command line of the shortcut you use to start UltraEdit because it must contain as additional parameter the project file.

If you start UltraEdit by double clicking on a file, then the file associations are not correct. Verify this in Windows Explorer at Tools - Folder Options - File Types for a file extension which you have associated with UltraEdit.

Note: If you double click on a UltraEdit project file (*.prj) UltraEdit always loads the opened files specified in the project/workspace and not the project file itself.

NewbieNewbie

Jul 26, 2009#8

After upgrading UltraEdit from 15.00.0 to 15.10.0 I noticed this problem. The feature to reload files at startup seems to be partially broken. It is no longer re-opening the project that was open when I exited UE, and thus doesn't open that project's "open" files. Instead, UE opens whatever files were last open when no project was open.

Here are my configuration settings:
                  • File Handling -> Advanced -> "Open from Explorer also loads file list"
                  • File Handling -> Load -> "Reload files previously open on startup"
                    (the option for reloading FTP files is not enabled -- I don't work with FTP files)
                  • File Handling -> Miscellaneous -> "Close all files when opening or switching projects"
                  I have one project file, called Common.prj, which I use solely for remembering & reloading the files I last had open. I use this project instead of just the reload feature because upgrading to new versions of UE in the past has sometimes cleared it's memory of "open files".

After upgrading from 15.00.0 to 15.10.0, UE opened a couple files I hadn't used in a long time, and did not auto-open the Common.prj project.

When I open the Common.prj project, it closes all other files first (correctly) and opens the last files that had been open while using this project (correctly).

When I then exit and re-run UE, it still does not open the project, and still opens the old files.

Anyone else have this issue? Am I missing some new configuration option?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 26, 2009#9

I configured my UE v15.10.0.1021 like you, created a project, added 1 file to the project and also opened this file. Next I exited UE and restarted it via the shortcut. UE reloaded the project and re-opened the last opened (and only) project file.

Do you have configuration setting Clear recent document/project and search/replace histories on exit enabled at Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Miscellaneous?

NewbieNewbie

Jul 28, 2009#10

Yes, I had Clear recent document/project and search/replace histories on exit enabled at Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Miscellaneous. Upon disabling that feature UE now re-opens the project & files as desired.

Thanks Mofi!