Can I use more than 20 syntax highlighting languages?

Can I use more than 20 syntax highlighting languages?

NewbieNewbie

Mar 10, 2005#1

and how can i, please help me.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 10, 2005#2

More than 20 languages cannot be defined in one wordfile. If you use projects, you can use project specific wordfiles with the languages you need for the current project. You can set up empty projects, where only the project specific wordfile is defined. By changing the project, you simply only change the current wordfile.

If you don't want to use projects, it is possible to use more than one ini-file. A different wordfile is set in the other ini-file. With command line option /i="ini-file" you can start UltraEdit with the alternative ini-file with it's alternative wordfile. You can also associate certain file extensions to be opened with UltraEdit with standard ini-file and other files to be open with UltraEdit with a different ini-file. Here is an example of such associations in the registry. (I have moved my standard ini-file uedit32.ini from the default location to the installation directory of UltraEdit, which is always a good solution for single user PCs.)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.eng]
      @="UltraEdit-32 OEM"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.ffd]
      @="UltraEdit-32 ANSI"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\UltraEdit-32 OEM\shell\open\command]
      @="\"C:\\Programs\\UltraEd\\Uedit32.exe\" \"%1\" /I=\"C:\\Programs\\UltraEd\\Config\\Ueditoem.ini\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\UltraEdit-32 ANSI\shell\open\command]
      @="\"C:\\Programs\\UltraEd\\Uedit32.exe\" \"%1\" /I=\"C:\\Programs\\UltraEd\\Uedit32.ini\""
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Mar 10, 2005#3

Thank you very much, Mofi.

Basic UserBasic User

wordfile limitations to 20 languages

Apr 07, 2005#4

Why is the wordfile limited to 20 languages? Is it a memory or design issue? Are there thoughts of expanding it in the future?

Also, why is it in one file? Are there thoughts of future enhancements that might include making this a configuration pointing to individual word files for each language? That would help to not have all of your eggs in one basket when editing your wordfile.txt.

If there was a file that was a text listing of language word files, then you can more easily share wordfiles (and changes) among groups that use the tool in a shared file system environment. For example, I developed a language definition for the output of a 3rd party tool. For me to share it with others, I have to copy and paste the text and email it to others here at work that want to use it. They in turn have to edit their word file and paste it in there. When I make changes/enhancements to the language definition, I have to do the same for others to pick up those changes. Additionally, everyone has to change the language number to fit into their wordfile. If it was just individual word files that were listed in the order they were defined, then it seems that it would be easier for folks to maintain...

How do others share and manage word files? I have seen the word files on the website - how often are those updated?
          - Chris
          Living in Florida is like being on vacation all the time!

Basic UserBasic User

Re: wordfile limitations to 20 languages

Apr 08, 2005#5

Like everything, putting all syntax settings in one big file has disadvantages.

I think it would be better to have a subfolder in UE folder, say 'syntax', and all files in this folder are syntax files - one file for one language. Thus, it is very easy to maintain them. The View As list should be ordered in aphabetical order - it's easy to find one by this order (who remembers number to name ordering?).

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 08, 2005#6

See above and you know, how we share wordfiles. We have a general wordfile with about 14 language definitions and some other wordfiles for special projects.

This is necessary for a configuration like *.c, *.h, *.lst which are either TurboC++ or ICCAVR for AT8515 or Tasking C166/ST10 for C167 files. I have written a special C and ASM language definition for each cpu and programming environment. The project wordfile makes it possible to highlight the *.c files always exactly as we need. This would not be possible in a configuration like crodgers described. I don't like selecting the appropriate language manually every time I open a file.

We use project specific wordfiles and also project specific INI files. I have C/ASM for C167, TurboC++, C for AT8515, HTML, DSP and some other company specific projects which could never be managed perfectly with a single INI and wordfile. So I'm glad, that UE let me handle this with additional INI files and wordfiles.

Hint: With UE v15.00 and later there is no limit anymore to 20 syntax highlighting languages because by default a defined directory is scanned for *.uew files each containing the definition for 1 language. The language number on first line of a found wordfile does not matter anymore.

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 08, 2005#7

Thanks for the info and perspective, Mofi! Glad you are around with all of your experience. I will look up more info on using projects... my work is not normally broken up by project, but I will see if that helps me to switch things out and share...
                - Chris
                Living in Florida is like being on vacation all the time!