Emulating Dreamweaver's Check-In/Check-Out ?

Emulating Dreamweaver's Check-In/Check-Out ?

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 06, 2010#1

I love UltraEdit, but still use Dreamweaver for work because of its simple check-in/check-out feature.

If I can find a way to emulate Dreamweaver's check-out feature, I can finally switch 100% to UltraEdit.

Here are the features I would like to emulate:

1) When a file is checked in, its local copy is read-only; when it's checked out, it can be edited.
    2) When a file is checked in, it has a lock icon next to it in the file explorer panel; when it's checked out, the icon is a checkmark.
    3) Any file can be checked in and out (e.g., images, wavs, etc.) via the file explorer panel.
    4) If you are a viewing or editing a file, you can check it in or out via a single hotkey.
    5) You can also check in/out a file via the context menu (right click) within the file explorer panel.
    6) Checking in/out a file copies it from/to the local tree to/from the same part of the remote tree.
    7) You can select a different remote tree via a simple menu.

NOTE: Dreamweaver also uploads a lock file (filename.LCK) to the remote tree whenever you check out a file. That lock file contains information about who checked out the file. Since I'm the only developer, I don't really need that feature, although it might be the easiest way to keep track of which files are checked in and out.

So, do you think it's possible to get each of those features (1-7) working in UltraEdit? I can write a script with does #4 and #6. I'm not sure about the others.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 07, 2010#2

I don't know Check-In/Check-Out feature of Dreamweaver. So I don't really understand what you want, but want to nevertheless suggest something which is maybe an acceptable alternate working method for you.

In UltraEdit there is the configuration setting Open files as read-only by default at Advanced - Configuration - File Handling - Load. With this setting enabled, all opened files are by default read-only independent of the read-only file attribute. Read-only files are displayed in UltraEdit since v16.00 with a user customizable different background color than editable files. Also there is a small padlock symbol left the file name in the file tab of a read-only file.

By clicking on Edit - Read Only you can toggle the read-only mode at any time for the active file. So you can open all files by default read-only and make some of them editable by executing this command when the file to edit has the focus. The command can be also added to a customized toolbar which I have done to easily see if the active file is read-only (not really needed anymore since UE v16.00). And the command can be executed also by a hotkey or chord by assigning a key code you like to command EditReadOnly in the key mapping configuration dialog. See also topic Setting a background color for single files manually where I have explained the read-only settings and behavior more detailed.

Perhaps with using the read-only mode feature of UltraEdit you can work completely without the check-in / check-out capability of Dreamweaver.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Jul 08, 2010#3

My goal would be to have each check-in or check-out be atomic, so that if a file is read-only, it is guaranteed to be "checked in", which to me means it matches what is on the live server.

So, I wouldn't want to ever change the read-only state of a file manually. Instead, I'd want any write permission changes to happen as part of a "check-in" or "check-out" script (batch file). Is it possible to have a script remote a read-only attribute for a file and have ultraedit immediately recognize that fact (and change the icon and/or background color)?

The other issue is the file list; is there an easy way to see which files in a tree are read-only, without opening them?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 09, 2010#4

Tripecac wrote:Is it possible to have a script remote a read-only attribute for a file and have UltraEdit immediately recognize that fact (and change the icon and/or background color)?
          With file change detection enabled as it is by default UltraEdit recognizes immediately when read-only attribute is changed on an already opened file. It is up to you how to code the script (called as user tool) which checks in/out the files.
          Tripecac wrote:The other issue is the file list; is there an easy way to see which files in a tree are read-only, without opening them?
          As far as I know - no. There is no configuration setting to display file names of files with a read-only attribute on Explorer tab of the File Tree View with a different color or a different icon.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria