How to enable word wrap by default for HTML files?

How to enable word wrap by default for HTML files?

NewbieNewbie

Jul 06, 2010#1

I have the trial version and am deciding whether to buy it. UE looks great BUT I cannot force a line wrap so that the html code/text all stays within the window. Have gone to 'advanced configuration' > 'word wrap' > chose button for 'wrap at window edge' - NOTHING HAPPENS! The html/text still goes far far beyond the edge of the window. I'm sure there is some little thing I'm not doing because one of the most basic features everyone would want is to see the entire line rather than just the left part of it.

Can anyone clue me into how force line wrap?
    Bob

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 07, 2010#2

You have obviously not enabled additionally the configuration setting Default word wrap on for each file. Therefore word wrap is not activated by default and you have to enable it for every file you want it with Edit - Toggle word-wrap (traditional menus) or View - Word wrap (contemporary menus or ribbon mode).

Hint: All configuration settings in Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Editor - Word wrap / tab settings below the drop down list are only for the files listed in the drop down list. The drop down list entry Default is used for all files not separately defined. For your purpose I would suggest to do following:
      • Open Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Editor - Word wrap / tab settings.
      • Click on button Change list.
      • Enter in the edit field htm html php and other file extensions containing HTML code. The file extensions must be entered without point separated by one space character. The case does not matter (on Windows).
      • Click button Add.
      • Back in the word wrap / tab settings dialog, select the just added list item.
      • Configure now all the settings below in this dialog which are now only for files with an extension displayed in the drop down list.
        Please don't overlook the setting Default word wrap on for each file which must be enabled to get all HTML files displayed by default with word wrap enabled after opening.
      • Save the changed configuration with pressing button OK.
      • Exit UltraEdit and restart it because settings for a just added new file group become active only after a restart. Configuration changes on an existing file group become active immediately.
      The advantage of doing this is that you have now the word wrap, tab settings and auto-completion you want for HTML files while you can use other settings for other file types like CSS, JS, ... You could even use now a proportional font like Arial or Times New Roman for HTML files while using a fixed-width font like Courier New or Consolas for all other files.

NewbieNewbie

Jul 08, 2010#3

Mofi,
        Thanks for the help! I had no trouble with the toggle word-wrap, but couldn't get the configuration editor word wrap to work even though I think I did all you suggested. I added html and htm separated by a single space, then set column to wrap at a 60 (also tried 80 and 30, then ok, restarted UE, and had same result as previously: the text lines extend to 1400 spaces (columns?)

Bob

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 09, 2010#4

I must repeat the first sentence I wrote in my first post. After selecting from the drop down list html htm, you must enable the configuration setting Default word wrap on for each file. Without this setting enabled files with extension HTML and HTM are displayed by default without word wrap and you have to toggle on word wrap manually for every file you want word wrap. If you enable this configuration setting for files with extension HTML and HTM, word wrap is enabled for HTML files by default and therefore you don't need to enable word wrap manually. I added a sentence about this important setting now also to point 6.