Prepurchase question - buy UltraEdit or UEStudio?

Prepurchase question - buy UltraEdit or UEStudio?

NewbieNewbie

Jul 22, 2010#1

Hi,
    I am planning on buying one of the bundle options but was wondering, is it better to buy the UltraEdit+UltraCompare bundle or the UEStudio+UltraCompare bundle?

And on that note, would I be correct in assuming that UEStudio can do more than UE?

Also, I am making customizations in MSDynamics CRM (which uses a lot of JS for the onLoad and onChange events etc, so would these tools be the best ones for me to compare and edit JS side by side etc.?

Cheers and regards
    Rossco :?:

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 22, 2010#2

You can try both for 30 days. You should take the trial period. UE is a text editor, a very powerful text editor, but nevertheless a text editor. UEStudio is based on UE and therefore has everything that UE also has, but it is an IDE - Integrated Development Environment. An IDE is mainly used by programmers. UES has IntelliTips features and a class viewer/browser which UE does not has. UES is therefore mainly used with projects and not for editing single files. Help is identical for both applications. So you can also search in help of UE which features only UES has by searching in help for IDE and for UEStudio. On this website you can take also a look on the tour and feature pages of UEStudio to get an overview which features UES has which UE does not have. If you need the extra features of UES and if they make your work more efficient is a decision you must take for yourself.

Regarding comparing files created by MSDynamics CRM: Again this is a decision which you must take by yourself. Download also UC Prof. and use the trial period.

NewbieNewbie

Jul 22, 2010#3

Thanks Mofi, really appreciated...I will go for the UEStudio I think and while there are some features I don't use it for at the moment, I can see I will down the track. :-)

Kind regards
        Rossco

MasterMaster

Jul 25, 2010#4

I thought the same thing when I made my first purchase... I bought a UES/UC bundle instead of a UE/UC bundle thinking that maybe some day I would use the UES features that I don't need now. Eventually, however, I contacted IDM and had them downgrade my registered product from UES to UE. Why? Because:
          • I don't need the extra features in UEStudio
          • Enhancements are released in UE first, then added to UES later. I prefer to get the goods as soon as possible and got tired of waiting... ;)
          • But the biggest reason was that I wanted a leaner version of UE to use as a basic editor on my older non-development systems. The UES installation was too big for my older systems with limited system resources. Since IDM treats UE and UES as separate products, I was told I would have to purchase another license if I wanted one on one machine and the other on another machine.
          My humble recommendation is that if you don't need the UES features... don't purchase it. The installation is unnecessarily large for someone not using UltraEdit as an Integrated Development Environment. You can always upgrade your license in the future if you find that you need what UES has to offer.

NewbieNewbie

Jul 25, 2010#5

Hi bulgrien,
            thanks for the post, much appreciated :-)

Regards
            Rossco