How do I change the default browser setting?

How do I change the default browser setting?

NewbieNewbie

Mar 14, 2005#1

Hi, I am just trying out UltraEdit-32 11.00a and have just installed it. When I select "Show file in Default Browser", my copy of Macromedia MX opens up. I don't want this to happen, I want Internet Explorer to open, but cannot find a setting anywhere to change or even set the default browser that UltraEdit uses. PLEASE HELP this is URGENT - thank you.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 15, 2005#2

You have to specify in the Internet Options of Internet Explorer that IE is the default browser and disable the appropriate setting in Macromedia MX. The HTML file edited in UltraEdit is opened with what is defined in Windows registry as default application for opening *.htm and *.html files.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 15, 2005#3

On a related note, is it possible to set UE to open the default browser in a new window? It drives me nuts manually opening a new one to keep UI from overriding the content in the uppermost IE window. Thanks for the help!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 15, 2005#4

No, you can't specify in UltraEdit how the default browser opens the page. This is a browser setting, which UltraEdit can't know. If you want a special file open handling, you have to specify it in your browser.

Instead of using the "Show File in Browser" feature, you can also set up an user tool, where you can start the browser you want with the current file and the command-line switches you need. You then can reconfig the hotkey for "Show File in Browser" to your user tool.

Command-line switches for IE see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/178058/en-us
          Command-line switches for Opera see http://www.opera.com/support/mastering/ ... l#commands

I use Opera, but here is an example for Internet Explorer for the tool configuration which always opens the current file in a new instance of IE.

Command Line: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -new "%f"
          Working Directory: %p
          Menu Item Name: Show with IE
          Activate Windows Program
          Activate Save Active File

You can also extract the IE standard icon from iexplore.exe for example with IrfanView and add this icon to this tool.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 15, 2005#5

Wonderful! Thanks, Mofi! This should keep me from going too batty. <g>

Mary