View Source from IE returns error with UE being registered as HTML viewer

View Source from IE returns error with UE being registered as HTML viewer

NewbieNewbie

Aug 04, 2004#1

How do I turn off UltraEdit from being my default for "View->Source" in IE. It constantly returns some stupid error like this.

Error: Access violation at 0x77C43283 (tried to read from 0x00D5C000), program terminated.

I just installed UE 10.20b (after using UE 9 for over a year) and that's when the default view source started trying to open in UE. I just want view source in IE to open up with notepad again.

Thanks

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 05, 2004#2

Often discussed in the previous forum not existing anymore! Here again what you have to do to view source with notepad again, copied from the previous forum.

At http://www.advantagecommunication.com/blog/tech.html you can find the answer, why problems occur with UE as source viewer and how to assign UE as source editor correctly. You can also use the description there and only change Uedit32.exe to notepad.exe to use notepad as source viewer.

You can also easily delete the following key in the registry with regedit.exe:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View Source Editor

When this registry key does not exist, IE opens the file with notepad.

NewbieNewbie

Aug 16, 2004#3

The version that I have just downloaded (10.20b) didn't even have this as an option anywhere (NOT using Ultraedit as the default editor in MSIE).

It would have been nice to have this as an option in Ultraedit. Some of us like to keep Notepad as the default editor - hence why it's set to be so in the Internet explorer settings (control panel).

What's wrong in respecting what's already in Windows?

NewbieNewbie

Oct 25, 2005#4

Fontee, I agree - I'm one who wants to just use Notepad for a quick html view and changes.
          There are some things I want UltraEdit for, but I want to open UltraEdit myself in those instances.

I did the regedit thing to change mine back to Notepad as default html editor.

Open regedit (start / run / type regedit)

expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / software / Microsoft / Internet Explorer /

View Source Editor / Editor Name

Double click to highlight "Editor Name"

Double click "(Default)" icon in right screen

In the "Edit String" window that opens, under "Value Data," type:

C:\Windows\notepad.exe

Click OK

Close regedit

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 26, 2005#5

The installer of UltraEdit adds UltraEdit as HTML source viewer in Internet Explorer on making a complete installation or on making a custom installation if the installation option View Source Editor is not unchecked during the installation.

The real problem is that Microsoft has not registered Notepad as source viewer and simply uses Notepad, if no source viewer is registered. So the first program, which registers itself as source viewer for HTML files is automatically used by IE as source viewer. HTML editors have to add itself to the list of source viewers, because no user can do it manually, except the user is an expert and knows how and where to modify the Windows registry. There is no option for the user to configure anywhere with the Internet Options of Internet Explorer the application which should be used for viewing the source of a displayed page.

See also UltraEdit takes over Windows Notepad as source viewer in IE

Did the installer of UltraEdit not asked you about setting UltraEdit as View Source Editor for webpages displayed by Internet Explorer?

Update: The installer option View Source Editor does not exist anymore since UE v18.20. Therefore all installers of UltraEdit v18.20 and later never register UltraEdit as source viewer for pages displayed in Internet Explorer.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 17, 2005#6

Okay, no offense, but whether or not MS or IE are doing something wrong, the correct course of action is to make sure not to inconvenience users.

I just installed the latest version of UE, which I've been using for many years, and now all of a sudden I am opening up a new UE window every time I view source.

Unfortunately, for some reason having multiple windows open also unsets all my FTP account settings due to some INI issue.

Anyway, I certainly didn't NOTICE anything asking me if UE should become my new right click view source application. The proper course of action for an installation program is to leave actions as they already are, because you have absolutely no idea of the sophistication of the user doing the installation.

Heh, lucky for me I've been an Internet developer for the last decade, so I can eventually find my way around the problem.

Please don't just say "so what" or "why would you want to" when you have actual potential paying users who have expectations. That is a common but improper attitude in the technical industry... perhaps most exemplied by Microsoft who always makes things conform to their needs, not ours. Please don't support the emulation of that behavior.