Tab configuration for COBOL programming

Tab configuration for COBOL programming

Apr 20, 2006#1

Hi everyone,

I use UltraEdit also for COBOL programming. I used an old version of the editor until now on which I had to set only one option to set the tab spacing,
    "Tab Space Value" (or number of spaces, etc.) and the correct value was "8".
    In the new version, otherwise, there are two options to set:
    • Tab Positions
    • Tab Space
    I would know how to set these values to have the same behavior as before.

Thank you very much!

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Apr 20, 2006#2

Hi Giorgioperozzi,

Yes it has changed!  For the better we hope!

First off the help file is incredible, look up Word Wrap/Tab Settings.

The new tab setting is a LOT more flexibly (maybe too flexibly).
      Because you code in COBOL you can have your own tab setting, the suffix determines the tab setting.

I program in RPG so I can have my own tab setting, controlled by .RPG suffix.

Okay, show me how it works, right? I'm going to cheat and quote the help file!
      The user may define multiple TAB stop values (up to 12) in comma-delimited format, i.e. "4,4,8".  The last value defined will be used for subsequent TABS.  In the example above, the first two TABS would be equal to four spaces and all subsequent TABS would be equivalent to 8 spaces.
      Where you make the changes is under pull down menu Advanced - Configuration...
      Click on the plus sign for Editor last one in that list, Word Wrap/Tab Settings.

So if you want to make the default 8 just enter an 8 there!

Good Luck

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 22, 2006#3

If you have not checked the checkbox named Use spaces in place of tabs above the two enter fields, the second field on the right side for the Indent Spaces is not important because it is ignored by UE and UE will always use a horizontal tab and never a space for indents. In the left enter field named Tab Stop Value you have to enter 8. That's it. The help of UE should help you further.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

May 02, 2006#4

Okay, thank you very much. That is exactly what I wanted to know.