Associate and save FTP account with project?

Associate and save FTP account with project?

NewbieNewbie

Sep 05, 2020#1

Is there a way to associate an FTP account with a project, so that account is the FTP Browser's default for that project?

In UES I have multiple projects to maintain multiple websites. Each website's HTML, CSS, and image files are uploaded from a specific directory tree on my local server to a specific directory tree on the public server. I have FTP accounts set up. I would like to open, for example, the Machining project and have Machining as the default FTP account for that project, so when I open the FTP Browser, I can click the Connect button and go directly to those directories on the local and public servers.

Same for the Astronomy project -- I want to have FTP browser to open the Astronomy FTP account.

It seems logical that I should be able to do this, since a project saves lots of other project-specific things. How can I do this?

Thanks.

--- Mike

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 05, 2020#2

I can't really test this, but in the Configuration, File Handling, Session Options, there is "Reload FTP files when reloading a project".

Perhaps your target FTP site can have an innocuous text file that has been added to the file list of the project.

I cannot test whether or not this then makes UE's understanding that the last accessed FTP site (which fetched this text file) is now the "primed" site to go to when opening the browser or FTP/Open or FTP/SaveAs.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 06, 2020#3

Thanks for the suggestion. I think adding a file from one session to the next is a bit of a hassle just to get the FTP Console to open in the same directory when I need it. From my perspective, the default FTP account should be default for the current project, just like other configuration settings are.
        --- Mike

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 06, 2020#4

Please read the power tip Link remote directories to local directories which describes how to associate a project with an FTP account. But there is a bug on using this feature as described by me in detail in forum topic Automatic FTP upload - upload of files in subfolders not working correct.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 06, 2020#5

Mofi wrote:
            Sep 06, 2020
            Please read the power tip Link remote directories to local directories which describes how to associate a project with an FTP account. But there is a bug on using this feature as described by me in detail in forum topic Automatic FTP upload - upload of files in subfolders not working correct.
            Thanks, Mofi, but it that isn't what I want. I need a way for the FTP Console to launch with a specific local directory open, and connect to a specific remote directory. I don't want (and can't use) opening and saving remote files directly. I need to upload files that are not created/edited in UES.

----------
            Explanation: I use an HTML "preprocessor" called htmlpp (http://htmlpp.sourceforge.net/) to "compile" my "source" files into final Web-ready HTML files. The files I edit in UES have a .htp extension, and htlmpp's output files have a .html extension. The .html files are the ones I need to upload via FTP.

htmlpp has very useful features like conditional statements and substitution variables. For example, one of  my ham radio pages displays a calendar of upcoming contests. The .htp file contains HTML for all 12 months, plus definitions at the top like SHOW_SEP. Each month's calendar is surrounded by .if $(SHOW_SEP) != 0 (HTML statements) .endif statements so only one month is in the .html file.
            ----------

My workflow is to edit the .htp files in UES, log into my Linux server via an SSH session to run htmlpp, then FTP the .html files to the public server. Currently I use WS_FTP, which opens to the last-used local directory, connects to the FTP server, and changes to the last-used directory there. I'm hoping to use the UES FTP Console instead.

--- Mike

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 06, 2020#6

Hi Mike,

Okay, I understand your use case now.

Well, it is possible to Add folder with Filter being *.html to your project and Link folder to FTP location to be able to use the Upload to server or Upload with sync commands in context menu of the project folder taking only the *.html files into account and ignoring the *.htp files. That is not what you really want as I know that you want to use the FTP Browser dialog window with local and remote directory set automatically and using an automatically selected configured FTP account according to currently loaded project. I am not sure if that is somehow possible at all.

I don't use usually the FTP features of UltraEdit and UEStudio. Therefore I haven't much experience and knowledge about all FTP related features. The most information I know about the FTP features is from reading the power tips, the new features tour pages published by IDM Computer Solutions, Inc. for every new major release, the brief information about changes in file changes.txt in program files directory, and the emails sent to beta testers explaining briefly the new features. I will read once again all information I have archived about FTP features and report here in the next days if I could find a configuration resulting in the behavior you want on opening FTP Browser dialog window.

It  is definitely possible to configure a project tool which starts UltraCompare Professional for a folder comparison of a project dependent local and remote directory on an FTP server using a project dependent FTP account name. But it is unfortunately not possible to open the UEStudio FTP Browser dialog window from within UEStudio with a project tool, macro or script with local and remote directory path and the FTP account name as parameters. There is no command to do that as far as I know.

I can offer at the moment only waiting for a reply by another user of UEStudio with more experience in FTP usage than I or contact technical IDM support by email and ask if it is somehow possible to configure that the FTP Browser dialog window opens with a project dependent local and remote directory using a project dependent configured FTP account.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 07, 2020#7

Thanks, Mofi. I'll live with it. If it becomes too onerous, I'll go back to WS_FTP which does just what I want. But it can't seem to keep its status window the same height between sessions. I drag it up to 8-10 lines, and after 4-5 sessions, it's shrunk to 3 lines high!

I hope UES can add a feature where an FTP account can be set as the default for a project. That would solve all my problems.

Thanks for your help.

--- Mike

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 09, 2020#8

There is no real possibility to control project dependent the used FTP account on opening the FTP Browser in currently latest UEStudio v20.00.0.50 and UltraEdit v27.00.0.94. This is confirmed by IDM support in the reply on my enhancement request for a future version.

My enhancement request describes that it should be possible in a future version of UltraEdit and UEStudio to associate in project settings an FTP account with the project. The configured FTP account in project settings should be automatically selected by FTP Browser on opening it on a project currently opened in UE/UES with additionally setting also initial directory as configured in FTP account as remote directory and initial local directory as configured in FTP account or the project directory on no initial local directory configured in FTP account settings as local directory and then connecting automatically to the FTP server with loading the two directory lists. In other words with having configured an association of an FTP account in project settings with a project, opening FTP Browser should result in automatically connecting to FTP server and getting listed the main directories on sever and local storage media for synchronization (upload) of the files with less user actions than required at the moment.

Note: The priority for an enhancement request implementation depends on number of users requesting it. Therefore it would be a good idea for all UltraEdit and UEStudio users interested in this enhancement to request the same with an email to technical IDM support.

NewbieNewbie

Sep 09, 2020#9

Mofi wrote:
                    Sep 09, 2020
                    My enhancement request describes that it should be possible in a future version of UltraEdit and UEStudio to associate in project settings an FTP account with the project.
                    Thank you very much, Mofi. If I knew any other UES users, I'd encourage them to request this enhancement. in the meantime, I'll continue using WS_FTP, and fume at its habit of shrinking the status window to one line after multiple sessions.

--- Mike

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 09, 2020#10

I like the idea of this feature.

I will add my +1 vote to the tally.