Auto File Change Detection on Files in a Project

Auto File Change Detection on Files in a Project

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 07, 2022#1

Version 28.20.0.92
    In the Configuration, I have "Prompt for update when files change" and "Check files for changes only on application focus change".

I have had an instance of UE open for many days, working on a project, with several files open, but having made no work on those files recently.

Just recently, I did make edits to some of those files in a second (and third) instance of UE.

I find that the instance of UE running the project is not informing me of those files that have been changed (by another application, even if UE) when I give focus to the UE running the project.

Can I get a confirmation before I mention this to IDM?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 07, 2022#2

I could not reproduce the unexpected behavior as described by you.
      • I configured the File change detection as you, see attached image file FileChangeDetection.png.
      • I created a project with 32-bit UltraEdit for Windows v28.20.0.92 running on Windows 7, added two files to the project and opened also both files.
      • I started UEStudio, opened the project file which was in UltraEdit not the active opened file, edited it and saved it.
      • I switched back from UEStudio to UltraEdit and the dialog window appeared notifying me about the file change by another application, see attached image file FileChangePrompt.png.
      • I edited the two files several times with UEStudio while opened in UltraEdit and there was always displayed the file change, reload files window, even on file edited in UEStudio was edited before in UltraEdit without saving the changes.
      Are you sure not having checked once the option Don't show this dialog again for this session in the file change, reload files window?
      FileChangeDetection.png (5.45KiB)
      Configuration settings for file change detection
      FileChangePrompt.png (2.65KiB)
      Window displayed by UltraEdit on detecting a file change by another application
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 20, 2022#3

I need to clarify:

The affected instance of UE has been open for days, perhaps for about two to three weeks, having not even brought it up from being minimized on the task bar.

With respect, experiments that do not take into account of this length of idle time, possibly with a few to many other instances of UE being opened and closed with editing the same files, may not reveal the situation.

I will keep Process Monitor in mind.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 21, 2022#4

Windows sends a message to main window of an application if this main window gets back the top window with input focus. The handler of this message inside UltraEdit does now check for file changes as far as I could see with Process Monitor. (I don't know the source code.) There is no timer involved in this procedure. So it does not matter how long UltraEdit is already running for file change detection on application focus change. When Windows sends the message to UltraEdit, UltraEdit checks for a file change of each opened file on having this feature not disabled in configuration.

It is possible to bring an application window to top without setting the input focus to this application. In this case no file change detection is executed by UltraEdit as not receiving the appropriate message from Windows. If an application window at top has also the input focus or not can be seen on color of the title bar of the application window. If the title bar color of the main application window does not change to color for active window (active = with input focus), the main application window is at top, but a different window has the input focus. That window could be also a modeless window of the application of which main window is currently at top.

Update on 2022-04-23:

The beta testers of UltraEdit v2022.0 and UEStudio v2022.0 got an email with information about fixes and improvements in release candidate with the following item:
          • Improved File Change Detection for network (specifically samba) files
          If the project files are stored on a Samba mounted drive, then the file change detection issue is fixed with UltraEdit for Windows v2022.0.0.70 and UEStudio v2022.0.0.70.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria