Basic UserBasic User

Feb 20, 2005#16

For simple writing, there are plenty of excellent proportional fonts available. The real problem is with monospaced fonts.
    In my case, I have to use Andale Mono or MS Courier New because i need extended char support, like Greek letters.

Courier definitely looks better but it has no slashed zero and number 1 looks the same as letter l. Andale has no such problems but is not as clear as Courier New.

My favorite is Terminus but unfortunately it doesn't support 8859-7 Greek character set.

NewbieNewbie

Jan 30, 2007#17

I'm looking for a fixed width font like the standard Courier New, but with more Unicode characters.

The reason I need another font is that I'm missing some Unicode characters for writing texts. I'm one of those people who actually use the many punctuation and graphical symbols in my notes and texts. And I just don't want to use a font with a proportional typeface because I think they don't look good in UE32 and I often need monospace anway.

I've found this page with lots of fonts for programming, but I think none of them has an extended amount of Unicode characters, and I'd also prefer a font with serifs just like Courier New.

So basically it is: Courier New + more Unicode chars.

Anyone got more recommendations?

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 30, 2007#18

Maybe worth trying the new Vista fonts... I hear they have extended unicode (not tried myself though).

http://digg.com/software/The_New_Vista_Fonts

Power UserPower User

Jan 30, 2007#19

Chris wrote:Maybe worth trying the new Vista fonts... I hear they have extended unicode (not tried myself though).

http://digg.com/software/The_New_Vista_Fonts
          I've been using Consolas and like it pretty well. Be warned though that it's pretty much essential to use ClearType with Consolas. (I'm not sure about the other Vista fonts.)

NewbieNewbie

May 02, 2007#20

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dina.

I switched to it about 6 months ago, and will never go back.
            Get it at DonationCoder.

Good stuff.

MasterMaster

May 02, 2007#21

thx for the tip. nice font. Especially the zero is made very well.
              I switched between courier new and Dina and saw the difference.

rds Bego
              Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

Basic UserBasic User

May 02, 2007#22

Looks quite nice for a bitmap font :) - though I need a font that also works with the OEM character set, which limits me to Andale Mono (using it now), Courier New (not bad, but a little flat), Lucida Console (too little line spacing), and Anonymous (looks a bit odd). Anyone have more suggestions?

Basic UserBasic User

May 03, 2007#23

Andreas wrote:Anyone have more suggestions?
                  Look at the links on the dina page, there's a few there that have been mentioned on this forum before (ProFont, Triskweline, Vera Sans Mono) and the wiki link at the end has plenty more suggestions.

Basic UserBasic User

May 04, 2007#24

I've tried (most) of those, including Vera/DejaVu Sans Mono, but they don't work with the OEM Character Set turned on in UE... so let me ask more clearly: Anyone have more suggestions that work with the OEM char. set? :)
                    And why is UE so picky there, anyway?

Nov 21, 2007#25

I've got exactly the same problem with DejaVu Mono and OEM Character Set.
                      Did you find any solutions? Is the default courier font the only available option ? :(

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 27, 2007#26

Sorry, no; I'm sticking with Courier New...

NewbieNewbie

Dec 14, 2007#27

rfdes wrote:I do like the Andale Mono font for programming, but the 'regular' weighting is to thin for me, while the 'bold' is too heavy. Anyone have any suggestions?
                          http://digg.com/programming/Dina_Programming_Font

Basic UserBasic User

Mar 21, 2008#28

For general editing, I use Consolas. Very readable.

NewbieNewbie

May 01, 2008#29

I'm usually coding, so I like Proggy Clean (Slashed Zero, Bold Punc)

http://www.proggyfonts.com/index.php?menu=download

quatras
                              quatras

May 19, 2008#30

I have never found the "best" font for editing, so I made my own.
                                The attached file is a bitmapped/raster font, that I have found useful.

I tried to implement what everyone usually needs in an editor font:

You can tell zero from oh (my zero is very narrow, the Oh very wide).
                                The el, vertical, one and exclamation are distinct.
                                The / and \ are symmetrical, as are forward and backward single quotes.
                                The + and - and vertical line up so you can make boxes with them.
                                The < and - and > line up so you can make good looking arrows.
                                Braces, brackets and parens all look distinct.
                                Comma vs. period and colon vs. semicolon are distinct.
                                The underscore is designed to look good as an identifier character.

There are some extra characters I use for line drawing, which 1252 doesn't
                                define. There are in areas nobody should care about. There is also a euro
                                in position 0x80.

You need to install it in Windows, where it will appear with the name RASTER.
                                If you select it from a console window, it will appear as a 9 x 15 raster font.
                                The font set is for Windows 1252, which is compatible with ISO 8859-1.
                                Unzip the RASTER.FON then install it.

I have another version of this font that implements the OEM/437 code page.
                                If anyone needs it send a post and I could upload that one as well.

As far as why UE defaults to OEM, I believe it's because Windows is doing the defaulting,
                                and it simply uses the current code page. There are ways to change this default, from
                                modifying registry entries, to putting default initial commands in the CMD.EXE startup.
                                Try doing a google on this, you will find a number of solutions.

Try it.
                                raster.zip (2.32 KiB)   383
                                RASTER FONT

Read more posts (1 remaining)