Block comments and the function list

Block comments and the function list

NewbieNewbie

Jun 13, 2005#1

I've noticed that if you have a word in parenthesis inside a C-style block comment that fits the function string rules it shows up in the function list.

So, this comment will show the functions 'text and 'Linux':

/* This is a block comment. Everything inside the
    comment delimiters should not be included in the
    function list. The following line shows a function
    that doesn't exist.

A line of text (inside a comment)

This line doesn't show up:
    Another line of text that shouldn't show up (still inside a comment)

Here's another one:
    UE32 for Linux (please)
    */

I believe the second line doesn't show up due to the number of objects before the word "up" as defined in the function string rules.

I quess the question is why does this happen? I'd think that everything inside a block comment would be ignored by all of the rules in wordfile.txt except for the "Block Comment Off =" rule.

Is this a bug or is this just the way it is and I just have to learn to live with it? I don't see a way to rewrite the function strings to ignore this situation due to the comment being multiple lines. I'm not really good with regex expressions, so I'm not sure if I'm just making a mountain out of a mole hill with this.

I have a huge amount of code I have to review from an ex-employee and he has parenthesis everywhere in his comments, otherwise I probably wouldn't even care about this.

Power UserPower User

Jun 13, 2005#2

Hi axeman,

I suspect the current behaviour is by design. If I commented out a pile of code, I would expect the functions to still be listed so I could uncomment them...

However, your point is a good one. There probably should be a switch to control this. Make a formal report to IDM. I had a quick look at the function strings and they aren't for the faint hearted!

I suspect, given the defintion of a C style function you've got a catch-22 (without a controlling switch).

HTH,

Paolo
      There is no such thing as an inconsistently correct system...
      Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of reaching correctness!