Bookmarks not being saved in UE v24.10 (fixed in UE v24.20)

Bookmarks not being saved in UE v24.10 (fixed in UE v24.20)

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 21, 2017#1

Recently I've been finding out that UE is not saving my bookmarks between opens and closes. I have checked, and I DO have Save Bookmarks checked in the configuration settings. I am using what I think is the very latest version, 24.10.0.35, 64-bit.

I saw "Addressed issues with bookmarks" in the last update fixes. But it looks like there is still an issue with bookmarks saving and restoring. Does anyone else have this problem?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Aug 21, 2017#2

From am email which was sent to beta testers of UE v24.20 about fixes in release candidate 1:
      • Addressed issue with bookmark display after splitting window
      • Addressed issue with bookmarks set in project files disappearing between sessions
      So if you are using a project, the issue is known and is fixed in UE v24.20.0.27 being released on 2017-08-31.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Aug 21, 2017#3

Yup, that's me - I am using a project. It's great to hear that it's a known problem that is being worked on. Thanks!

NewbieNewbie

May 05, 2023#4

Still broken for me in:
          UltraEdit Text/Hex Editor (x64) 
          Version 28.20.0.98

Relevant options:
          "Allow multiple instances": unchecked.
          Save bookmarks: checked

I save Bookmarks in open files, in different instance of UE. One instance is a project with numerous (25-35) opened files. I set bookmarks in both UE instances. I close all instance of UE.

I open an new instance of UE. It loads all the files that were open when the last instance of UE was shut down. Bookmarks seems to be consistently restored.
          With the above instance still open, I open another instance of UE and it opens with no files open. I load a project, that definitely contained bookmarks I set in a previous sessions, and more often than not all previously set bookmarks are gone. Been happening for years.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 06, 2023#5

I cannot reproduce a bookmark saving issue with UltraEdit for Windows v28.20.0.98.

I have set following at Advanced - Settings or Configuration:
            1. Editor - Bookmarks
              Save bookmarks checked
            2. File handling - Advanced
              Save project information for use on multiple systems checked
              Store project user interface (pui) files in profile directory unchecked
              The project user interface settings are stored for that reason in file ProjectName.pui in same directory as ProjectName.prj.
            3. File handling - Session options
              Reload files previously open on startup checked
              Discard unsaved "Edit" files with no prompt on application close checked
              All other check box options  are unchecked in this configuration window.
            4. Application layout - Advanced
              Store windows/menu/toolbars placements and configurations for multiple instances of application unchecked
            5. Application layout - Miscellaneous
              Files selected in Explorer will open in a new single instance checked
              Allow multiple instances unchecked
              Maintain separate process for each file opened from external application unchecked
            Then I exited UltraEdit to make sure these settings are stored all in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\ue.ini.

I started now the first instance of UltraEdit, opened three files and set a bookmark on a line in each of the three opened files.

I clicked in traditional menu Advanced on menu item Open a new instance of UltraEdit, clicked in traditional menu Project on menu item New project/workspace to create a project with name Test, added three existing files to the project and opened them all, closed Project Settings dialog window and set a bookmark in each of the three opened project files.

Next I exited the second instance of UltraEdit with the opened project. UltraEdit v24.20 would have saved the bookmarks in the file Test.pui in the project files directory. But UltraEdit v28.20 behaves different because of the cloud feature. The bookmarks are stored in the file %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\vod\bookmarks.vod by UE v28.20. The information about the opened project on exit is stored by second instance of UltraEdit on exit into the file %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\vod\ue.vod. The structure and file names for the application data changed significantly between UE v24.20 and v28.20 because of the cloud feature to have settings stored in files synchronized with cloud storage and therefore identical on all computers on which UltraEdit is used with usage of same cloud account and settings being stored always specific for the current user account on a computer and never stored in the cloud.

Then I exited the first instance of UltraEdit with the three opened files without a project/workspace opened at all. The bookmarks are also saved into the file %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\vod\bookmarks.vod. The information about opened files are stored into %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\vod\ue.vod.

I started now UltraEdit via shortcut in Windows Start menu and it loaded the three previously opened files with the bookmark set in each file as stored in configuration file bookmarks.vod. I clicked once again in traditional menu Advanced on menu item Open a new instance of UltraEdit to start the second instance of UltraEdit and opened from bottom of traditional menu Project the project Test. The second instance of UltraEdit loaded the project file with opening the files according to stored data in Test.pui and the bookmarks as stored in bookmarks.vod for the three opened project files.

Conclusion: Everything worked perfect.

Did you have the same files opened in the two instances and removed/changed bookmarks in opened files in the instance closed last?

Note: The contents of the file bookmarks.vod is updated only on exit of UltraEdit. That means on using two instances of UltraEdit and both having some files opened with bookmarks set individually in each instance, the last exited UltraEdit determines which bookmarks are saved for those double opened files.

NewbieNewbie

May 08, 2023#6

I think I need to try deleting all my project files (GULP!) and starting with new ones. I've had some for many years and they are probably messed up. I have all the settings you have checked, except this, so I checked it:
              Save project information for use on multiple systems: checked

I removed all files from my faulty project and re-added them, something I often do anyways, and for now bookmarks are working. Thanks. Not sure if they'll stick.

May 17, 2023#7

I'm still having this issue. I can't afford the time to remake all my project files right now, just to see the same problem. It's still happening with new projects.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 18, 2023#8

I don't think that the contents of the .prj project files and .pui project user interface files really matters for saving bookmarks in project files on closing a project which occurs automatically on exiting UltraEdit. The issue must be caused by something different. A step by step instruction for reproducing the issue is necessary for support of UltraEdit, Inc. to verify it and for the UltraEdit developers to fix it if it is caused by missing or incorrect UltraEdit program code.