Can't enter special characters like ²³µ§ into ANSI Latin I encoded file anymore

Can't enter special characters like ²³µ§ into ANSI Latin I encoded file anymore

NewbieNewbie

Feb 01, 2019#1

The subject says it all. What's wrong with UE that these characters appear when loading a file, but one is no longer able to type them? They are all stored as 0x1A in a DOS/ANSI Latin I file.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 01, 2019#2

What is shown as encoding at bottom on status bar after opening the ANSI encoded file?

What is set at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - File handling - Encoding for Default code page (for ANSI encoding)?

The configuration setting is by default the code page set by Windows for the used account according to the country configured for the user account like 1252 (ANSI - Latin I) for Western European and North American countries.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Feb 01, 2019#3

It says

Default encoding (for new...)
        ANSI

Default code page
        1252 (ANSI - Latin 1)

Locale
        de-DE, German (Germany)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 01, 2019#4

I am using 32-bit UltraEdit v25.20.0.156 on Windows 7 x64 with exactly the same settings as you and with using a German keyboard. I cannot reproduce this problem.
          1. I created with Ctrl+N a new file being a Windows-1252 encoded file with DOS line endings according to configuration as indicated at bottom on status bar (on not using basic status bar).
          2. I pressed Shift+^ to insert character ° into the file.
          3. I pressed Shift+3 to insert character § into the file.
          4. I pressed AltGr+M to insert character µ into the file.
          5. I opened ASCII Table view and double clicked on the characters ¼½¾ in the lower half to insert those characters into the file.
          6. I set input focus back into window of new file file and typed quickly Alt+Num+0185 to insert ¹, next Alt+Num+0178 to insert ² and last Alt+Num+0179 to insert ³.
          7. I started Microsoft Word, inserted with Insert Symbol the characters ©®™ into the document, selected them, copied them with Ctrl+C to clipboard, switched with Alt+Tab to UltraEdit and pasted them with Ctrl+V into the new file.
          8. I saved the ANSI encoded file with F12 with Default selected for option Encoding which is the default.
          9. I switched with Ctrl+H to hex edit mode and get displayed:

Code: Select all

00000000h: B0 A7 B5 BC BD BE B9 B2 B3 A9 AE 99             ; °§µ¼½¾¹²³©®™
            That is absolutely correct.
          10. I switched to Total Commander and viewed the file with F3. The characters are displayed like in UltraEdit.
          11. I pressed 3 to switch to hexadecimal view and Total Commander displayed the bytes exactly like UltraEdit.
          So everything worked as expected.

The substitute character with hexadecimal code value 1A is stored by UltraEdit for Windows v24.00 or greater in an ANSI encoded file in following uses case according to Unicode standard:
          1. The user copied to clipboard for example the characters ≤≥Ω not represented in code page Windows-1252 from an MS Word document.
          2. The user tried next to paste these characters into Windows-1252 encoded file.
          3. UltraEdit displayed:
            We noticed that the data you're pasting contains Unicode characters that aren't valid with this file's encoding (1252  (ANSI - Latin I)): Therefore, these characters probably won't display as you expect.

Would you like to convert your file to UTF-8 so that the characters are displayed properly?

Note: You can change the default encoding for files in Advanced > Settings > File Handling > Encoding.

Don't show this again          [ Yes ]   [ No ]   [ Cancel ]
          4. The user clicked on button No or just pressed key N or Alt+N.
          5. UltraEdit inserted three times the substitute character.
          Please let me know if you use an input method which I have not used on my approach to reproduce the issue.

NewbieNewbie

Feb 04, 2019#5

UltraEdit isn't the culprit. At least no in total. It's the Windows 10 language settings. English (United States) works fine. But English (Germany) doesn't. And don't ask me why! The other curious thing is the fact, that with both settings you can enter these character anywhere else but in the editor window itself. I mean the find/replace dialog in UE always works.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 04, 2019#6

That is interesting. I know the Language settings in Windows 10 are different to Region and Language settings in Windows 7 as used by me. But I would not have expected such an issue, especially because your encoding settings in UltraEdit configuration are set identical to my one. I am using Windows 7 in English, but format settings are in German (Austria), country is also Austria, and input language (keyboard) is German (Germany) - German (IBM). I really don't know how to make such a configuration in Windows 10 without setting the values directly in Windows registry. In my point of view the user configuration of Windows becomes worser and worser from Windows version to Windows version.
              region_and_language_settings.png (9.55KiB)
              Region and language settings as used by me on Windows 7.