Can't see projects list at startup

Can't see projects list at startup

NewbieNewbie

Jul 06, 2005#1

Hi,

I would like to see all my UltraEdit projects automatically at the startup, in my Projects tab. Any idea how to accomplish it?

Let me rephrase it.

Can UltraEdit display a list of the existing projects at the startup or do I need to use the Explorer window?

I understand that the Project tab only displays the current project tree.

Thank you

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jul 06, 2005#2

Since a project is the highest-level entity in the tree, UltraEdit would have to search your entire computer for *.PRJ files in order to build a list of them.

However, if you keep all your project *.PRJ files each in its own folder under some root folder, it should be easy to browse for them when you do "Open Project" from the Project menu item. The files you add to the project can, of course, be in different folders.

NewbieNewbie

Jul 06, 2005#3

Thank you. It's exactly what I did for now. I've created an "UltraEdit Settings" folder under root. Then, from my Explorer tab, I select the ".prj" that I want.

It would be a nice feature to have in a future release, a "Projects" tab or display on the home page a list of the registered projects, loaded automatically at the startup of UltraEdit. A kind of solution offered by MS Visual InterDev.

If one ".prj" file is gone, then UE will let us know and the project link would disappear from the list. I am assuming that UE would store the project's list so it doesn't need "to search your entire computer for *.PRJ files in order to build a list of them."

Thanks again.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jul 06, 2005#4

If one ".prj" file is gone, then UE will let us know and the project link would disappear from the list. I am assuming that UE would store the project's list so it doesn't need "to search your entire computer for *.PRJ files in order to build a list of them."
          The upcoming UEStudio will have a higher-level entity called "Solutions" which can contain several projects. Also, there is something called "Project Manager". It has a list of projects to choose from, but I believe these must be added manually to the list. I haven't used either feature yet ... still trying to get more essential things to work.

But think about the fact that you probably don't want all your projects in the same place, anyway. Maybe the "everything beneath the root folder" is good for like projects such as C++ code. But let's say you also have HTML webpages -- those would probably be better off under a different top-level folder.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 07, 2005#5

I have an other idea. Add the project files (*.prj) to the list of favorite files. Now you can open the dialog box for favorite files via File - Favorite Files or hot key or button in the toolbar.

In your case, it would be the list of your projects. Click the project you want and Open. UltraEdit/UEStudio does not open the *.prj file for editing, it really opens the project.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria