Can't seem to disable automatic save on large files

Can't seem to disable automatic save on large files

NewbieNewbie

22:20 - Apr 24#1

I'm using UEX for Linux, version 21.00.0.0. In Preferences on the Load/Save tab I have "Enable automatic save" unchecked, but every time I make a change to a file I immediately get the message:
    The file <filename>, has changed on disk.
    Do you want to reload file?

Sure enough, when I check the file, it has a new time stamp, so UEX must have written to it.
    I would really like to get this corrected because I use UEX on Linux to work with large netlist files that typically have a size near 1G. I often am only browsing the file, so I can work around the problem by changing the file to read-only in UEX, however, when I need to edit the files this is a major pain. Due to the size of the files it can take a while to save, so I don't want it autosaving while I'm still making edits. It causes a long pause, which is frustrating.
    Is it possible that this only happens with extremely large files? I tried opening a small file for the purposes of writing the post and it didn't seem to have this problem.
    Thanks for any ideas or suggestions anyone has to get this working correctly. Working with these large files on Linux is the main reason I purchased UEX, so I am very interested in getting this working properly.

Grand MasterGrand Master

6:29 - Apr 25#2

There should be never displayed this message if you make a change with UEX on a file. This message should be displayed only if another process (application) modifies the file while being opened in UEX.

A huge file with one GB or more is opened by default without usage of a temporary file. I don't use UEX for Linux as I don't use Linux. UltraEdit for Windows has several configuration settings for efficient working with large files. There is in UltraEdit for Windows since v2023.1 Advanced - Settings or Configuration - File handling - Large files. I have attached below an image.
      large_files_configuraton.png (14.04KiB)
      Large files configuration in UltraEdit for Windows v2023.1 and newer versions

UEX should have at least the configuration settings shown at top too. These settings were in older versions of UltraEdit for Windows at File handling - Temporary files in configuration window. Opening large or huge files without using a temporary file means every edit is written to the file and undo/redo is not possible. UltraEdit for Windows processes large files in blocks. There is not loaded all at once into available free RAM and save all at once. I suppose that UEX has same file handling for large files. I recommend viewing the power tip Large file text editor and viewer although the video is of UltraEdit for Windows.

The file change detection feature can be disabled in configuration if UEX has this feature also as it looks like and there is erroneously displayed the file change message box on editing the large file with UEX. But this incorrect behavior should be reported additionally to UltraEdit support by email to get it fixed in a future version of UEX.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria