Cannot highlight dates via syntax color group in v2023.0.0.41

NewbieNewbie

May 11, 2023#1

Starting with v2023.0.0.41 my color group for highlighting dates: 

Code: Select all

/C15"Dates"
    ** 2024-01 2024-02 2024-03 2024-04 2024-05 2024-06 2024-07
    is not being recognized anymore. How can I resolve this? Reverting to an older version works, but with the currently latest version it doesn't anymore.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 11, 2023#2

I took me some time to create two small syntax highlighting files and find out in which version of UltraEdit for Windows and UEStudio changed the syntax highlighting behavior for substrings starting with a digit.

The first syntax highlighting wordfile is with hyphen character not included in list of word delimiters which is required to be able to syntax highlight a string being a date (or date+time) beginning with year and month in format yyyy-MM.

/L1"Text" Noquote DisableMLS File Extensions = TXT
      /Delimiters = ! $    '()*+,/:;<=>@[\]^`{|}~
      /C1"Dates"
      /C2"Hyphen"
      -
      /C3"Test"
      ** test-

The second syntax highlighting is with hyphen character in list of word delimiters as in most syntax highlighting language definitions just for seeing the differences.

/L1"Text" Noquote DisableMLS File Extensions = TXT
      /Delimiters = ! $    '()*+,-/:;<=>@[\]^`{|}~
      /C1"Dates"
      /C2"Hyphen"
      -
      /C3"Test"
      ** test-

The result of the first language definition with hyphen being interpreted as a word character can be seen on the image below in first row and the second wordfile with hyphen as a word delimiter produced the second row.
      date_syntax_highlighting.png (15.75KiB)
      international date string syntax highlighting comparison

I have found out in my tests with versions archived by me from 28.20.0.92 to currently latest 2023.0.0.41 (30.0.0.41) that the syntax highlighting of substrings beginning with a digit according to a definition in a color group takes precedence over the built-in highlighting of strings beginning with a digit as number up to UE/UES v2022.0.0.102 (29.0.0.102).

The precedence of built-in number string highlighting over a substring highlighting of strings starting with a digit defined in a color group changed with UE/UES v2022.1.0.70 with the syntax highlighting parser overhaul as briefly described in file changes.txt in program files directory of UltraEdit respectively changes_ues.txt in program files directory of UEStudio.

There can be sent to support of UltraEdit only a syntax highlighting issue report by email with describing the issue and requesting a change back to former behavior regarding to syntax highlighting of strings starting with a digit with taking precedence of substring definitions in color group 1 over substring definitions in color group 2 ... and finally as last one number string highlighting. There is no possibility to get back the former syntax highlighting behavior for this use case by changing something in the wordfile because of the built-in number syntax highlighting cannot be disabled with something in the wordfile.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Oct 11, 2023#3

"There is no possibility to get back the former syntax highlighting behavior for this use case by changing something in the wordfile because of the built-in number syntax highlighting cannot be disabled with something in the wordfile."
        Is this why my IP addresses will not and can never be made to highlight?
        Ver 2023.1.0.23 64-bit
        2023-10-11 14h08m52s10 .jpg (210.61KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Oct 11, 2023#4

Yes, that is the reason why the IP address syntax highlighting definitions in the color groups do not work. Please report the issue to support of UltraEdit, Inc. by email to increase the priority for fixing the issue. I have send such a report on  30 May 2023 with subject Syntax highlighting of dates (substrings starting with a digit) not working anymore as prior v2022.1.0.70.

The lines 2 to 15 should be deleted as color and font style settings are stored since UltraEdit for Windows v20.00 in the themes file and not in the wordfile. The lines 6 to 15 are additionally wrong because of they should be after /C1"C1 Red1", /C2"C2-Red2", ... for UltraEdit for Windows v15.00 to v19.10 and not on separate lines above first color group resulting in interpreting the space delimited strings as words to highlight with color and font style of first color group.

The words in color group 4 and 5 are additionally defined wrong. The space character is always interpreted as word delimiter. It is not possible to syntax highlighting a phrase containing one or more spaces. 10.4.7.0/24 and sec_affil are for that reason two words with different first character in same line which is invalid according to the rules described in help of UltraEdit on the page Syntax Highlighting. The color groups 1 and 2 are obviously not needed at all and should be removed without or with renumbering the remaining color groups and adapting the colors in the theme for this syntax highlighting language accordingly

I could fix the wordfile for you if you would attach the wordfile instead of much larger screen shot in image format JPEG (instead of PNG being better for screen shots). The used themes file with the color and font style settings for language L19 WAN should be attached too.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Oct 11, 2023#5

Thanks Mofi, I will mail UE support.
            Thanks also for comments on my syntax highlighting file :)

BTW I have found 28.20.0.92 and installed it. The issue does NOT HAPPEN in this version. :)

Sent to support of UltraEdit, Inc. today:

In reference to an issue discussed here on the forums:
            https://forums.ultraedit.com/cannot-highlight-dates-via-syntax-color-group-in-v-t19305.html

Q1. Please would you give an indication of status of this issue. In other words is it an issue you have identified as a bug? Maybe it might have a bug reference? If so could you share so I can refer to it?
            Q2 Also appreciate any timetable of resolution. That post was started 11 May 2023. From the release notes you have made a single release since then (2023.1)
            Q3 Would you please make available to me the latest release for which this bug does NOT happen? You might be better places then I to know which that might be. It is suggested in the post by the indefatigable Mofi that this would be 2022.0.

Much appreciate your help in this matter.

Oct 12, 2023#6

Reply from UE support:

Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2023 10:36 PM
              Subject: Re: Syntax Highlighting strings that start with a number

Hello Shaun,
              Thank you for your message. I'm sorry for any inconvenience this issue may be causing you. This is in our issue tracking system but hasn't been addressed yet. I can't tell you for sure when this will be addressed, but we'll be sure to let you know when we have an updated build that resolves this issue.
              You may download UltraEdit v2022.0 here: link removed
              Please let us know if you have any further questions.
              Thanks.