Case unchangeable on selected portion of file

Case unchangeable on selected portion of file

Basic UserBasic User

18:53 - Jul 25#1

NOTE: I'm on the latest version 2024.0.0.35 of UEStudio and not UltraEdit but I want the wider audience to see this because it is so bizarre.

I have an ANSI file with a bunch of SQL code. If I select a line in it that has multiple words and I click on the To lowercase item or use the key combo, all the characters change to lower text that weren't already lower text. If I select the entire line and click the To uppercase item or use the key combo, all but part of the line goes to upper text. There are ten characters Listprop lp that no matter what I try I can't alter the case of. If I copy and paste that exact text elsewhere in the file I can get the case to change. This is the strangest thing I've ever seen before.

One other thing to note, it happens only if I am in column mode. Still all other text changes case, so still weird.

Has anyone else experience this?
    Thoughts?

@Mofi If you want to check it out I can send you the file but I don't want to share it in the post because it is code for a DB we have an NDA like agreement on so I don't post code the original code before sharing, I use a service that will reset all the characters so you can share but in this case I think that might alter or erase whatever may be causing this. The only thing I can think of is a bad spot in the file that stores those characters.

Thanks

Grand MasterGrand Master

13:58 - Jul 26#2

I cannot reproduce such an issue neither in normal editing mode nor in column editing mode. But I could imagine what could cause not changing the case of the words Listprop and lp.

The syntax highlighting wordfile used by you for files with file extension SQL does not contain in the first line the case-sensitive keyword Nocase. The SQL syntax highlighting is case-sensitive for that reason. The used SQL syntax highlighting wordfile contains the words Listprop and lp exactly as written here.

There is at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Editor display - Miscellaneous checked the option Auto-correct keywords. That feature results in an automatic correction of a syntax highlighted word after typing it if the syntax highlighting is case-sensitive and the written keyword is not in right case. An automatic correction of a keyword can be undone with pressing Ctrl+Z (execution of command Undo).

The auto-correction of keywords should not be executed on using the commands To uppercase, To lowercase, Capitalize or Invert case. I could not reproduce the issue with automatic correction of the keyword on execution of one of the two commands although I modified by default installed wordfile mysql.uew with removing the keyword Nocase from the first line, adding the words Listprop and lp to the wordfile, saving the modified wordfile, and restarting UltraEdit with loading the sample file with file extension SQL.

I suggest unchecking the configuration setting Auto-correct keywords and test if that makes a difference.

I recommend further comparing the SQL syntax highlighting wordfile used by you and stored most likely in the directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UEStudio\wordfiles with the file %ProgramFiles%\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio\wordfiles\mysql.uew as installed with UEStudio v2024.0.0.35. This can be done by opening first the file %ProgramFiles%\IDM Computer Solutions\UEStudio\wordfiles\mysql.uew and next any file with file extension SQL in UEStudio. Then open Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Editor Display - Syntax Highlighting. There should be pre-selected under Installed wordfiles the syntax highlighting language for SQL syntax highlighting. Click on button Open and close the configuration with a click on symbol X. Close the SQL file no longer needed so that only the two wordfiles are opened in UEStudio. Click on menu item Compare… in traditional menu File or on menu item Compare in contemporary menu Home or on item Compare in fifth group Extras on ribbon tab Home and click in opened Compare Files/Folders dialog window after verification of the options on button Compare for the text comparison of the two opened wordfiles. Then you can see the differences and decide which wordfile to use in future for SQL syntax highlighting: the currently used wordfile, the MySQL wordfile installed with UEStudio, or a new one created by you with merging lines from default installed wordfile into the used wordfile for SQL syntax highlighting.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

19:31 - Jul 26#3

Thanks Mofi!

20:27 - Jul 26#4

Mofi - the option for Auto-correct keywords was not set however the word file I use for SQL is not the mysql.uew file . I've been on UE for 15 years (maybe more) and  I'm sure my word file is old because I don't use the default directories for anything.  Years ago I got tired of trying to move from an old computer to a new one all my stuff that various applications use from UE to Visual Studio and so I created a directory called Resource Files that has everything that any app will allow the user to specify a custom location for.  So I know my word file is outdated. 

Thanks