Coding Language

Coding Language

16:41 - Feb 23#1

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this discussion board and excited to be here. I'm currently using UltraEdit as my text editor and working with a MySQL 8 database. While UltraEdit is a fantastic tool, I'm curious if there are newer language options available beyond 5.1. Could anyone point me in the direction of updated resources or tutorials for these newer languages?

Additionally, I'm always looking for ways to improve my coding workflow. I primarily use SQL and PHP, but I'm also interested in learning more about HTML, JavaScript, Ajax, and other related technologies. Any recommendations for helpful add-ons or tools for UltraEdit or these languages would be much appreciated!
    mysql.jpg (161.03KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

18:19 - Feb 23#2

The syntax highlighting language definition files are all contributed by users of UltraEdit and UEStudio. They are named UltraEdit wordfiles and have the file extension uew. Every UE/UES user can create such a wordfile or customize an existing wordfile. Open in UltraEdit Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Editor display - Syntax highlighting and click first on button Help for opening the help page Syntax Highlighting with the description. Then select in the configuration dialog window the installed wordfile which you wish to enhance and click on button Open. Close the configuration window. Most of the changes made on the opened wordfile are immediately applied on the other opened files syntax highlighted with the edited wordfile on saving the wordfile with Ctrl+S. Hint: Arrange the wordfile and a syntax highlighted file side by side horizontally or vertically on editing the wordfile to see a change in the wordfile immediately without window switching on saving the wordfile.

The syntax highlighting configuration dialog offers also the possibility to install other user contributed wordfiles by downloading it from the UltraEdit web server. They can be also downloaded manually from the web page User-submitted wordfiles for UltraEdit/UEStudio or from the wordfiles repository on GitHub where are some wordfiles available which cannot be downloaded from the web page or using the built-in feature. A downloaded wordfile must be just moved or copied into the directory of which path is displayed in the syntax highlighting configuration dialog window. The default directory is %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\wordfiles.

The Syntax Highlighting forum has at top the announcement Readme for the Syntax Highlighting forum and the sticky topics The ultimate syntax highlighting tools and Template for syntax highlighting language wordfile with even more useful information for users interested in editing an existing wordfile or creating a new one.

Efficient coding writing requires a customization of UltraEdit to what a user needs for the daily work. There can be a lot customized in UltraEdit for efficient code writing. I recommend viewing the power tips, especially the power tip about usage of smart templates which must be first created by a user for oneself.

Most of the tools needed for HTML, CSS and JavaScript writing are installed with UltraEdit and can be directly used from within UltraEdit via the items on ribbon tab Coding in group Formatting. Click on the small down arrows to open the popup menu with the appropriate commands to run the pre-installed tools.

There can be switched also from ribbon to a classic toolbar/menu user interface mode with just one right mouse button click on a ribbon tab and a left mouse button click on one of the two menu items in context submenu Toolbar/menu mode. There is by default only one toolbar displayed which is the main toolbar. But in the contemporary menu Layout is at top the submenu Toolbars where more predefined toolbars can be made visible. The submenu Toolbars exists also in traditional menu View in the submenu Views/lists.

Please note for HTML editing also the built-in browser view and live preview on ribbon tab Coding or in contemporary menu Coding or in traditional menu View.

There are lots of useful features integrated in UltraEdit which can be very helpful for a programmer. But the user must spend time to get knowledge about all of them and how to use them efficiently in the daily work with customization of templates, wordfiles, toolbars/menus or ribbons, usage of customized hotkeys and chords or the command palette, configuration and usage of self-added user and project tools as well as self-added offline and online helps and online search engines, usage of projects/workspaces and layouts, and much more.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria