Crash recovery causes duplicate files to open. How to disable?

Crash recovery causes duplicate files to open. How to disable?

Basic UserBasic User

Jun 04, 2021#1

Very long-time user with a question about recent versions. Maybe I'm just not searching for the right terms. If I have unsaved files open in UE, and the app is closed unexpectedly, when I restart and access the prompt to open previous files, I get unexpected results. The original unsaved files open, as expected, but I also get a duplicate of that file created with a name such as 'edit.102' (see screenshot). I have found no real purpose for that second version, and just click to close them. Is there a way to disable that behavior? I don't see anything in the settings that seems to match. Thoughts?
    ultraedit.jpg (11.48KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 04, 2021#2

There is no possibility to configure the file restore behavior after an abnormal exit of UltraEdit for Windows or UEStudio. You have only the option to report this issue to IDM support by email to get it perhaps fixed in a future version.

The file restore behavior was quite easy to handle by UltraEdit < v25.20 and UEStudio < v18.20 for unsaved data of named files opened with usage of temporary files or for new, unnamed files which are in real temporary files until being closed by the user (appropriate temporary file deleted) or saved with a name (appropriate temporary file copied or moved). UE/UES recorded in hidden directory autorec\%COMPUTERNAME%@%USERNAME% with *.rac files special data for each opened file with unsaved data stored in a temporary file. On a normal exit all *.rac files of the files currently opened in exited instance of UltraEdit are deleted as well as the corresponding temporary files. But the *.rac files and the temporary files are kept on an abnormal exit of UltraEdit caused by a crash of UltraEdit/UEStudio or by killing the UltraEdit/UEStudio instance with the operating system. Then UltraEdit for Windows < v25.20 and UEStudio < v18.20 could detect on the still existing *.rac files which files to restore as much as possible with unsaved data using the temporary files also still existing.

Then the feature to keep unsaved data of named files and even of new, unnamed files was introduced with UltraEdit v25.20 and UEStudio v18.20. The feature is customizable by the user as described by me in forum post Automatic save of new files on exit and reload on next start with automatic delete on saving/closing new file. The usage of this feature as by default means that UE and UES have to keep the temporary files on normal exit with appropriate file management data stored in the user interface file(s) or Windows registry and deleted must be just the *.rac files of the files opened in exited instance of UE/UES. This is also the reason for having the temporary files no longer in directory %TEMP% as files in this directory are often deleted by other applications from time to time, for example by the user on using the Windows Disk Cleanup tool.

UltraEdit and UEStudio have to handle multiple use cases now regarding to the temporary files found on starting UltraEdit/UEStudio without or with a corresponding *.rac file. There must be supported the variants caused by the user configuration for the Session options. Then a user can use also multiple instances of UltraEdit/UEStudio which can exit all more or less at the same time, for example on shutdown of Windows, with the data about opened files stored in a project/workspace file or in a single user interface file (*.in0 file) or in instantiated user interface files (*.in0, *.in1, *.in2, ...) or in Windows registry of current user. I have not analyzed until now how UE/UES remembers the opened files in multiple instances of UltraEdit exited all more or less at the same time with keeping unsaved data on using just a single user interface file as by default. That is definitely an awful to handle use case which most likely never meets the user expectations.

The feature to keep unsaved data on normal exit caused already troubles in not typical configurations and use cases as documented by the forum topics:
      It looks like the described behavior with duplicate restore of a new, unnamed file with unsaved data on startup of UltraEdit with default session options after an abnormal exit of UltraEdit is one more not typical use case which is not yet correct handled by currently latest UltraEdit for Windows v28.10.0.26. UltraEdit and UEStudio have to determine on restoring files on startup after an abnormal exit according to the existing *.rac files if a named file with unsaved data or a new, unnamed file is restored already because of the configuration of the session options and in this case do not restore the file a second time.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria