Create UTF-8 file without BOM

Create UTF-8 file without BOM

NewbieNewbie

Mar 16, 2005#1

Is it possible to create a new UTF-8 file without a BOM with Ultraedit? The option for creating all new files as unicode does not suffice as it creates the file as UTF-16 which is not what I want. The unicode website specifically says that UTF-8 does not need a BOM to be a UTF-8 file. This is particularly a problem when creating multilingual php files as PHP 5 does not know what to do when it encounters the BOM unfortunately.

Well I did find some obscure post saying: Convert your file via File - Conversions - ASCII to UTF-8 (Unicode Editing) and that seems to do the job for writing a utf-8 file without a BOM.

So would there be any way to actually have some kind of default setting that when I open the program and create a new file, ASCII to UTF-8 (Unicode Editing) and DOS->Unix conversions are already set without having to set it everytime I create new files?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 18, 2005#2

Found in chapter INI Settings in UltraEdit help:

Default File Type =
      Write UTF-8 BOM =
      Write UTF-8 BOM NF =

But in V10.10c, there is no option to create a new file automatically in UTF-8.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Mar 18, 2005#3

I'm using 11.00a UE and it automatically chooses to write as ASCII. Those settings in the configuration you're talking about have nothing to do with conversion and telling it to write utf-8 instead of ASCII. As I said even with the latest version, 11.00a, you need to set the conversion to ascii-utf-8 and dos-unix (if you're using unix) to create every new utf-8 file without a BOM.

Apr 22, 2005#4

I love the new save dialog options for 11.10. While although I still can't type utf-8 files without a BOM by default, I can finally set the option, create all new files as unicode and then just switch the format to UTF-8 - NO BOM before I save. It's certainly a lot easier than having to deal with setting the conversion every time I create a new file. Thanks!