Double click on open file tab to maximize

Double click on open file tab to maximize

NewbieNewbie

Feb 01, 2005#1

When I double click on File tab (under the tools bar) to expand a file, instead this remove the file from the screen, and also from the Open Project icon!
    It is difficult to store files in Project file, but also easier to remove.
    I am using version 10.20d+
    Is it possible to correct this? :x

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 01, 2005#2

That's not a bug, it is a feature and most of us are happy about it, I think. It was first time implemented in V10.10.

To get a file to foreground, click on the tab only once. See UltraEdit help about "Toggle Open File Tabs" for details about tab handling.

To maximize a file double click on the (normally) blue title bar of the file window and not on it's tab.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Feb 02, 2005#3

I'm with you Mofi. I use the double click to close a tab feature all the time.

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 04, 2005#4

Very good feature :idea:
          Regards from France
          Kenavo from Brittany

NewbieNewbie

May 20, 2005#5

Excellent feature.

Power UserPower User

May 21, 2005#6

In my view, also, it is an excellent feature! 8)

So much so, that I suggested it for another product. But was talked out of it by the consistency argument... The 800 pound gorilla, (MS) has decreed that double-clicking on a tab shall be to change it's name.

And since my signature is what it is... I was hoist on my own petard... :oops:

Paolo
              There is no such thing as an inconsistently correct system...
              Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of reaching correctness!

Lars_Hammer
              Lars_Hammer

Jun 21, 2005#7

hi all, is there a way to suppress this feature? i've been using ultraedit on a windows 2000 pc but now on my new laptop the double-click on the mouse is being assumed when i don't want to close the files. Most times when i go between files it closes at least 1/2 of the files which is NOT what i want. i changed my mouse to have a really slow double-click but ultraedit is picking up a double-click still.

thanks,
                ck

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 22, 2005#8

Hi ckyoga!

I guess, you use a touchpad and/or a griffel. Touchpad and griffel has also a double click functionality, which both has to be separately set to your needs. If you have only changed the double click speed of left "mouse button", you have to do this also for the touchpad and/or griffel or disable the "tap" functionality.

Lars_Hammer
                  Lars_Hammer

Jun 22, 2005#9

thanks for your reply. i am using an external mouse with my laptop and not the touchpad. does that make a difference?

thx,
                    ck

NewbieNewbie

Jun 23, 2005#10

Hi every ones

Thank you very much for your help!
                      ... But ... where is the help?
                      I am very glad to know that five users like this feature, but it is not the subject of this topic.
                      You never try to know why I have a problem.

Power UserPower User

Jun 23, 2005#11

Sorry, we should have made it clear... This behaviour is by design and not modifiable! (as far as I know).

Regretfully,

Paolo :D
                        There is no such thing as an inconsistently correct system...
                        Therefore, aim for consistency; in the expectation of reaching correctness!

Grand MasterGrand Master

Re: Double Click

Jun 23, 2005#12

Instead of double clicking on the file tab with left mouse button, click on it with right mouse button and select "Restore" or "Maximized" from the popup menu.

NewbieNewbie

Jun 23, 2005#13

I agree that this is an excellent feature, I use it enough in UE that I have changed Firefox to close tabs with a doubleclick, though it required an extension. Conversely, I mapped Ctrl-T in UE to create a new file (it creates a new browser tab in Firefox, and I use that all the time).

However, its behavior should be able to be toggled between the UE way (double-click close) and the MS way (doubleclick maximize).

NewbieNewbie

Jun 23, 2005#14

Hi Mofi

This is the only way I am using.

I cannot dbleclick on the (normally) blue title bar of the file window because the file name is unreadable with long path. On the tab the file name is shorter.

But have you seen where is 'Maximized' in the popup ? down very far at the lowest side of the windows! but 'Close' is near, up in the window.
                              So UE32 (and some users) love to close windows, not open it ...
                              I don't know why.

Hi zhynn
                              Yes, toggle between UE32 way and MS way would be fine.
                              Unfortunately I think this never happens because version 10.20d+ is already obsolete.
                              I catch this (bad) feature in upgrading last time.
                              I don't need to upgrade again soon.
                              8)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 24, 2005#15

Maybe turning on Display file name only in document title at the Display section in the general configuration dialog will help you to get a better overview. I always have this turned on when working with project files.

>Yes, toggle between UE32 way and MS way would be fine.

I hope, you have already written this by email as feature request to IDM. I guess, it's not very difficult to code it. But this is an user forum, so you have to write an email, if you want it.

Read more posts (1 remaining)