Find and replace window - default options and using keyboard shortcuts

Find and replace window - default options and using keyboard shortcuts

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 02, 2021#1

I'm new to this latest version of UltraEdit, so please forgive the newbie questions. I have a couple questions about the search function in UE v28.10.
    1. When I want to find something I very rarely don't utilize some options of some kind. Currently I have to hit Ctrl+F twice to get the Find and Replace window to show up. Is there a way to set it where the default is the full floating window and not the slim box?
    2. When I use search and replace I'm accustomed to using keyboard shortcuts with the search box. I see the letter 'R' is underlined yet, I cannot select that from the keyboard by hitting "Alt+R". I've made sure that the window has the focus, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.
    I just found the answer to #2, uncheck the box "Set focus to edit window after any Find operation" in configuration. It appears that if that is checked, it doesn't matter if you go back and click on the find and replace window, you can't use the keyboard shortcuts.  That option effectively disables keyboard shortcuts in the search box, it seems?

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you!

MasterMaster

Sep 02, 2021#2

Hi Matt,

you can set one hotkey for QuickFind and another one for Find. For example I am using
      Ctrl + Shift + I      Quick find
      Ctrl + F                  Find

More detailed information is here

BR, Fleggy

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 02, 2021#3

Please  read the sticky topic Quick Find versus Find and how to customize the usage of both (Ctrl+F behavior) of the forum Find/Replace/Regular Expressions.

You are right regarding to input focus issue after running a Replace with configuration setting Set focus to edit window after any Find operation checked and clicking on the title bar of the floating or docked Find and Replace window. The Find and Replace window is displayed as active window, but the input focus is not set to any element on the Replace tab. It is necessary in this case to press key TAB or click with mouse on an item like the Find what edit field to be able to use Alt+R to run once again a Replace. Well, I suppose most users using this configuration use mainly the mouse and click directly on the Replace button. However, I have reported this minor input focus issue to IDM support by email.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Sep 02, 2021#4

Thanks for confirming, Mofi.  I hate going back and forth to the keyboard all the time.  If I never had to use a mouse I'd be soooooo happy. :)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 10, 2021#5

The input focus issue is fixed in next public released version of UltraEdit after currently latest version 28.10.0.154 and next public released version of UEStudio after currently latest version 21.00.0.90.

Here is the full report I have sent back to UltraEdit support after being asked per email to download a user verification build and verify the fix.

Update: The input focus issue is fixed since UltraEdit for Windows v28.20.0.12 and UEStudio v21.10.0.20 which were the next public released versions of UltraEdit for Windows and UEStudio.

I installed 32-bit UE UVB v28.10.0.184 and ran several of input focus tests regarding to all four tabs of Find and Replace window in floating and in docked window mode. All test runs were successful. So this minor input focus issue is definitely fixed.

My test runs in detail with setting Set focus to edit window after any Find operation checked in the configuration.

1. Floating Find and Replace window

1.1. Find tab active

The find option Close after find is unchecked. A find is executed with pressing Alt+N after entering a string to find. UltraEdit finds the string and input focus switches to the document window of active file.

1.1.1. Click with left mouse button on title bar of Find and Replace window

The find what edit field has the input focus with search string selected. Pressing once more Alt+N results in execution of one more find downwards.

Test passed.

1.1.2. Pressing Shift+F6 to make Find and Replace window the active window

The find what edit field has the input focus with search string selected. Pressing once more Alt+N results in execution of one more find downwards.

Test passed.

1.2. Replace tab active

A replace is executed with pressing Alt+R after entering a string to find. UltraEdit finds the string, replaces it and input focus switches to the document window of active file.

1.2.1. Click with left mouse button on title bar of Find and Replace window

The find what edit field has the input focus with search string selected. Pressing once more Alt+R results in execution of one more replace downwards.

Test passed.

1.2.2. Pressing Shift+F6 to make Find and Replace window the active window

The find what edit field has the input focus with search string selected. Pressing once more Alt+R results in execution of one more replace downwards.

Test passed.

1.3. Find in Files tab active

Input focus test is not possible as the floating Find and Replace window always closes automatically on executing the find in files.

1.4. Replace in Files tab active

Input focus test is not possible as the floating Find and Replace window always closes automatically on executing the replace in files.

2. Docked Find and Replace window permanently visible

2.1. Find tab active

A find is executed with pressing Alt+N after entering a string to find. UltraEdit finds the string and input focus switches to the document window of active file.

2.1.1. Click with left mouse button on title bar of Find and Replace window

Test passed.

2.1.2. Pressing Shift+F6 to make Find and Replace window the active window

Test passed.

2.2. Replace tab active

A replace is executed with pressing Alt+R after entering a string to find. UltraEdit finds the string, replaces it and input focus switches to the document window of active file.

2.2.1. Click with left mouse button on title bar of Find and Replace window

Test passed.

2.2.2. Pressing Shift+F6 to make Find and Replace window the active window

Test passed.

2.3. Find in Files tab active

2.3.1. Results to output window

The find in files option Results to edit window is not checked. The execution of the find in files results in getting displayed the found lines in the output window, but the input focus remains on the docked Find and Replace window on button Find. Pressing once more Alt+N or ENTER or RETURN results in execution of one more find in files with results written to the output window.

Test passed.

2.3.2. Results to edit window

The find in files option Results to edit window is checked now. The execution of the find in files results in getting displayed the found lines in the newly created edit window with title ** Find Results ** and the the input focus switches to this edit window.

2.3.2.1. Click with left mouse button on title bar of Find and Replace window

The find what edit field has the input focus with search string selected. Pressing once more Alt+N results in execution of one more find in files.

The input focus remains this time on docked Find and Replace window on the button Find. Pressing once more Alt+N or ENTER or RETURN results in execution of one more find in files with results appended to the already opened find results edit window.

Test passed.

2.3.2.2. Pressing Shift+F6 to make Find and Replace window the active window

The find results edit window from previous test run is closed. A new find in files is executed which results in opening a new find results edit window with input focus switched to the edit window.

Pressing Shift+F6 activates again the docked Find and Replace window and the find what edit field has the input focus with search string selected. Pressing once more Alt+N results in execution of one more find in files with results appended to the already opened find results edit window.

The input focus remains this time on docked Find and Replace window on the button Find. Pressing once more Alt+N or ENTER or RETURN results in execution of one more find in files with results appended again to the already opened find results edit window.

Test passed.

2.4. Replace in Files tab active

2.4.1. List changed files is not checked

The replace in files option List changed files is not checked and there is no file opened which gets modified by the replace in files. The execution of the replace in files results in getting displayed the information about the replaces in the files in a message box and the document window of the active file has the input focus.

2.4.1.1. Click with left mouse button on title bar of Find and Replace window

The find what edit field has the input focus with search string selected. Pressing once more Alt+A results in execution of one more replace in files.

Test passed.

2.4.1.2. Pressing Shift+F6 to make Find and Replace window the active window

The find what edit field has the input focus with search string selected. Pressing once more Alt+A results in execution of one more replace in files.

Test passed.

2.4.2. List changed files is not checked

The replace in files option List changed files is checked now and there is no file opened which gets modified by the replace in files. The execution of the replace in files results in getting displayed the information about the replaces in the files in the output window and the document window of the active file has the input focus.

2.4.2.1. Click with left mouse button on title bar of Find and Replace window

Test passed.

2.4.2.2. Pressing twice Shift+F6 to make first the Output Window and second the Find and Replace window the active window

Test passed.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria