FYI: UltraFinder relies on the MS indexing which will not find things on streamed Google drives

FYI: UltraFinder relies on the MS indexing which will not find things on streamed Google drives

NewbieNewbie

22:40 - 16 days ago#1

So I have used UltraFinder more than I thought I ever would.
    I have run into a strange problem that makes sense I think now so I would like to share it.

I was doping out a repository that I downloaded.
    UltraFinder is awesome because you can search for files, directories, and inside files and it allows regular expressions

Only it was not working in this case. I realized that I had changed my Google drive setup so that it is no longer mirroring the drive contents.
    So even though this data was in a directory tree that was "available offline" Windows doesn't index it because overall that drive content is "streamed".
    When I figured this out I realized UltraFinder relies on the Microsoft OS indexing.

I was able to use FileSeek from Binary Fortress Software which I used to use more before getting UltraFinder to do some searching. 
    It does not however allow you to find directories. It only searches for files.

I kind of wish UltraFinder could handle the Google drive like FileSeek, but otherwise it's my goto.

Thoughts anyone else?
    Maybe I set it up wrong?

Grand MasterGrand Master

8:33 - 15 days ago#2

UltraFinder 2023.0 supports searching for and in files of a cloud storage like Google Drive without having the files mirrored on local hard disk. There is used the file system indexing service since UltraFinder 2022.0 but it is nevertheless possible to let UltraFinder search for files or text in files itself according to UltraFinder full feature list.

I don't have UltraFinder installed and cannot tell you for that reason which option to check or uncheck to run a find files by content without using the file system indexing service. But I am quite sure that the usage of the file system indexing service since UltraFinder 2022.0 does not mean it is impossible to run a find without using this service.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria